Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

I have been suffering from Trapped Wind behind my right shoulerblade

I have been suffering from Trapped Wind behind my right shoulerblade for the last three weeks, with only very occasional relief.Can occasionally burp, but never enough to completely relieve feeling of wanting to get more out.Antacids (Gaviscon) only help a little.Dr. has put me on"Motilium" to speed up emptying stomach, but no relief after four days. Also suffer from chronic constipation, and am on a low depression tablet (sertraline) as have been through a period of stress. Valium (5 mg.) seems to help for a period, but probably only relaxes - only taking at night occasionly. "De-gas" tablets have no effect.Can you offer any suggestions ?? Thanks in anticipation. John
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Are you having pain around your right middle abdomen?

Customer:

No.On lying down at night, I get dull pain just under my left rib-cage which goes across to just short of my navel.

This is not heart trouble as it usually resolves in wind rumblings and clears in 5-10 minutes on average.Other doctor

pressed around that area and was sure nothing was severly amiss.

N.B. It is my bed-time in Australia (10.30 p.m.),so I will not be ale to answer any further questions for about ten hours.

But please keep trying for me !

John.

Dr. Owen :

Hello I'm here

Dr. Owen :

I will be back online when you wake up....

Customer:

Dear Dr Owens,

The time difference between us is making it difficult for me to catch you online. I will be better placed in the next couple of days. Regards John

Dr. Owen :

I am here now

Dr. Owen :

Hello

Dr. Owen :

are you still having pain

Dr. Owen :

Right sided shoulder pain can be 'referred' pain

Dr. Owen :

so this could be due to diaphragm pain

Dr. Owen :

this could be liver or gallbladder

Dr. Owen :

this could also be due to an ulcer too.

Dr. Owen :

So, each of these problems should actually be evaluated to see why you are having this pain

Customer:

O.K. Problem remains Any suggestions are welcomed.Slightly better most of to-day after taking Actilax last night, which suggests a connection to the chronic constipation.

Dr. Owen :

that is true

Dr. Owen :

You might want to see if medications such as Zantac or Pepcid along with Prilosec (omeprazole) will help as this could be an ulcer or GERD

Dr. Owen :

Also, consider getting evaluated for an infection known as H. pylori - which can be causing this pain too

Dr. Owen :

If you do have H. pylori - treating with antibiotics such as both clarithromycin and amoxicillin will help

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

I wish you well

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT Service

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Customer:

Will try taking Actilax again to-night and see if further improvment to-morrow. Your thoughts on this -the Antilax does not create a loose movement.

Dr. Owen :

the antilax might help

Customer:

Going to bed - talk to-morrow.

Dr. Owen :

but try the other medications too

Dr. Owen :

Please click on EXCELLENT Service

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

Please don't forget to click on EXCELLENT Service

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen :

have a good night

Dr. Owen :

bye

Customer:

You really havent suggested much yet to rate an excellent. I give you an O.K.

Dr. Owen :

ok

Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr. Owens,

I may have been a bit hard on you rating you as "O.K." !

I have improved quite a bit - not sure if it is/was the Actilax or the Zantac that you suggested _ anyway I am not so grumpy now ! I do have a chronic duodenal ulcer that has responded to the treatment you suggested (in the past), but this is not similar. So I will continue with the Zantac. Will advise you if continue to improve.

Will change you rating to 'excellent' ! Thanks, John.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
It would be appreciated for you to change to EXCELLENT
Thank you
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Dr Owens,

My "Trapped Gas" problem has improved 75% - only troubled occasionally and for much shorter periods. Local Dr. thinks it is related to the slow movement of my stomach emptying, and had put me on a permanent perscription of "Motilium". The Valium is still the best at giving me immediate relief - just one 5mg. tablet - so must have some relation to stress or tension ?

Just thought you might be interested if this problem is presented to you in the future.

Best wishes, John