Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hello Docs, Im in the process of tapering off klonopin.

Hello Docs,

I'm in the process of tapering off klonopin. I have been taking klonopin for 7 months and have been at doses as low as 0.75mg and high as 1.5mg per day. Right now i'm at 1mg per night, and while it helps me sleep better, I get withdrawal symptoms about 12-14 hours after the nightly dose. I have tried twice a day dosing for the past two days, with a slight increase in overall daily dosage. I now take 0.5mg duirng the day and 0.75mg at night for a total of 1.25mg. I have realized that I my anxiety has been a result of binge drinking and lifestyle that I have changed for the better, that is why I have decided to come off this medicine. Would a switch over to a longer acting benzo help me? such as diazepam? Also, would the addition of an SSRI help the anxiety symptoms when tapering? thanks,

A longer acting Benzo like diazepam may help in short term for anxiety but in long term it is not likely to help. SSRI is a good bet for taking care of anxiety during the tapering. Though the optimum effect may take 6-12 weeks to show of SSRI.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.