Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

I ate some food about 4 hours ago and i noticed i felt a little

I ate some food about 4 hours ago and i noticed i felt a little itchy. Not bad, but a little. I found a small pink area on my back should with one raised little bump ( maybe a hive?) and I dont notice any other raised bumps. There are maybe some slight pink areas that but they come and go, nothing too serious. If i was getting an allergy, i was wondering if it would get worse or go away on its own, even if i didnt take benadryl or another medicine? Does it sounds dangerious?

Welcome and thank you for the question.

A mild allergic reaction can go away on its own while a more serious one usually gets worse. Since it is 4 hours since you had your food, if this had been a bad allergy, it would have been quite serious by now.

After 4 hours, with only a few pinkish areas and a mild itch, you do not need to take any anti-allergic medicine. You will be fine.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks so much. Can you talk about when to worry about an allergy and when you would consider it "serious" Thanks!

Chris,

I would worry about an allergy if the itching became gradually more intense over time, especially if it got worse within an hour. This is so because this type of acute allergies can cause swelling on the throat with difficulty in breathing.

A slowly increasing allergic reaction or an allergy which causes a mild itching and hives and does not progress beyond that will not affect the throat muscles and is usually not dangerous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks so much, and the 4 hours timeframe tells you that this didnt progress fast and is probably not gonna get worse?

That is right. If this has not progressed in 4 hours, then it will not progress further.

I hope this helps.