Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

On my scrotum, right at a hair follicle it is a little red

On my scrotum, right at a hair follicle it is a little red and looks a little infected. There isn't a persistent rash or sores or anything, and it isn't especially painful or anything. I just noticed it today and it already seems to have gotten a little better. Can this happen to hair follicles on the scrotum? What is this called?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question , yes , this can happen to the the scrotum hair follicles.

This is called folliculitis in which a virus , bacteria or fungus infects a hair follicle producing surrounding tissue inflammation and irritation.

In most cases , the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus could be involved .

Most cases do not need treatment , they resolve on their own.

In the meantime, you could apply a warm compress on the area , you could wash the area with an antibacterial soap like cetaphil which you can get over the counter and apply a topical antibiotic ointment like Neosporin which you can also get over the counter .

If the symptoms persist longer than 7 days , You should consult your doctor who will prescribe a stronger topical product or prescribed you oral antibiotics( taken by mouth ).

Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD