Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Greetings, I have a cat which has long hair and he gets

I have a cat which has long hair and he gets lion cut frequently. This time, since he came from groomer, I can't stop sneezing. He has been with us for 5 years. I'm not allergic to him. What might be the problem? Thanks...

So this is the first time you've had the sneezing problem? Any watery itchy eyes or discharge from your nose?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, it's the first time. It hasn't been that bad before. My nose is itching, I have discharge from nose and shortness of breath. I feel like my lungs are burning.

Any new soaps, detergents, foods, cosmetics, etc?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

nope. We went out an hour ago. Everything was normal when I was out. When I got in the car, the symptoms started, but they weren't that bad.(We took the cat to the groomer by car) And since I got home, the symptoms are so bad.

Tell me about the shortness of breath--any wheezing? And what do you mean by your lungs burning?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have wheezing. When I inhale, I feel burning.

Have you come in contact today with anything volatile--gas, fumes, anything?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no.. It just happened when cat came from groomer. Could I be allergic to dogs not cats? The groomer also gives service to dogs.

But I assume you've had contact with dogs before now? Any unusual smells while you were at the groomer's?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not have much contact with dogs before. I did not realize any unusual smells.

Well, possibly this could be an allergy to a dog and most people aren't allergic to all breeds so maybe the one you are allergic to was at the groomer's today. That said, this could also be an allergy to something else and you may never find out what it was without allergy testing. For now I suggest an antihistamine like benadryl or Claritin and a saline irrigation kit and usually this kind of thing resolves itself in a day or two.