Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Hi, Dr. Abby(ONLY)-:WYB i FELL today--and RIGHT on my Right

Hi, Dr. Abby(ONLY)-:WYB i FELL today--and RIGHT on my Right HIP!!!!
Madeleine,

Oh no! That is terrible news!
I am so sorry that happened.
My first concern is whether you need an xray..if you are having increased pain in the groin area and difficulty walking, I do think you should have the area xrayed to make sure you didn't fracture your hip.

Rest, baths, your pain medication and icing the area you fell on are what I recommend at this point if you don't think you need xrays.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It just hurts somewhat more than usual....i CAN walk, albeit w/pain(but that is not so unusual these days).....

Keep a close eye on it. If the pain does not improve (meaning going back to your baseline level of pain), I would have an xray done just to be safe.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
, How long should i give it to judge if i am back at baseline? A-just-got-out-of-the-tub Madeleine
I would give it another day.
If it is worse, however, when you get up tomorrow, and you have trouble walking--get an xray just to be sure there is not a fracture.

I hope the tub helped a bit and felt good.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What, beyond what we have already discussed, would be the symptoms i should be on the lookout for for a fractured hip?

In most cases, people who fracture a hip cannot walk on the affected leg.
If the fracture is minor, a few are able to walk but the pain is usually still quite significant.
Pain is in the groin area typically
The affected leg appears shorter than the non-affected leg when laying down
The affected leg may also be rotated outward.
Here is a picture that demonstrates what we see when looking at someone's lower legs who has a hip fracture. It is not always this obvious, however.

http://atlas-emergency-medicine.org.ua/ch.11_files/image058.jpg

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just looked at the picture, "arbagel(where did THAT name come from???!!!?)--" --it is pretty awful. I do not think MY leg looks like that, but i shall have T. ck. when he gets up from his nap.

We did a kinda large amount of shopping earlier(well, LATE for YOU!!LOL!!)today--i did OK, but sure was happy to get home!! I'd decided not to go "swimming"-such as it now is-i basically can 'only' walk across the pool for 15 mins., not swim- :( but i suspect i felt the same way, w/o the other Body Parts feeling all lubed up, as they do after "swimming," after all of the walking, etc.-so perhaps i SHOULDA gone 'swimming" after all! Pain is worse that usual today, but that could happen ANY day;some are worse that others.At any rate, i am staying put(not easy for me!)the rest of the day,w/the heating pad occasionally and basic resting--'don't think it is fractured;am i being foolish not to get an XRay NOW?I see Dr. G. on Wed.----What do you think?Would i have been able to have done as much were it to have been fractured?

Honestly, I don't think you would have been able to do that much if you have a fracture.
Just take it easy for the rest of the day..

Dr Abby