Dr K
Dr K, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board certified physician

Question for a nutritionist who is familiar with TRADER JOES

Customer Question

Question for a nutritionist who is familiar with TRADER JOES I am trying to lose 300lbs+..........

I am completely changing my habits and lifestyle. I was planning on having gastrib bypass surgery, and it did not work out to where I got the operation. Maybe a good thing! Because here I am taking over my health (PROBLEMS)...also....once I got the operation...it would not do any good if I lost a TON of weight...but then did not know how to properly eat....which is probably where the point comes in where people gain the weight back.

So anyways...I have a few new products that im trying out...and for the most part...im just exploring food and products.

It was a little embarrassing going into Trader Joes today and not really knowing what to buy in the store (being so big) Oh well though! Moving on....Items I DID buy were:

Milk
Almond Soy Milk (for a shake I'm going to try)
Rosemary Ham for sandwhiches/etc
Rotisserie Chicken for sandwhiches/etc
eggs
whole wheat tortillas

and that was it. There were a lot of products that looked fun to try....I wasnt sure if there was a brand of tortilla chips that would be ok for my diet.....maybe for a once a months plurge if we're having them with salsa/etc....and then they had a variety of nuts....and then a lot of frozen items....

See heres the problem. I've ONLY shopped at grocery stores my whole life. I am not familiar with organics/etc like what they've got at TJ's. I feel like a bit of a redneck, but hey at least i'm trying =)

Im 30, have no kids, and Im married. We are willing to eat pretty healthy 7 days a week...but wouldnt mind slipping in a fun meal once a week.

Is 'everything' in TJ's supposed to be healthy? I just dont get it, and I'm having a bit of a hard time in there.

I do want to buy my veggies and fish (and small amounts of fruit) at our regular grocery store. The rosemary ham and the rot. chicken was delishhhhhh......it was way pricier for a much smaller portion, but it was much tastier, and I'm thinking that this will curb us from snacking, knowing that the food is more and that it is the correct amount for the meal planning that week.

Just a reminder, I REALLLLLLLY am wanting someone familiar with TJ's.........bc I'd like to try their products and expirament a little bit. Im just wondering if there are products in there that are great for my need.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr K replied 1 year ago.

DrK99 :

Hello, this is Dr K99. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. Please consult your Dr for medical advice.

DrK99 :

I love trader joes and shop there all the time. You can get a unique product, organic at a great price because of the way they purchase. I see that you are offline. Im going to switch to q and a but will continue to answer the question

Expert:  Dr K replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr K replied 1 year ago.
The products that you buy at Trader Joes will be of higher quality and of more nutritional value for the price. That being said, its very easy to fit them in your diet because most have complete nutritional info and all you need to do is look at the calories. Most will be right on the package.

For example, trader Joes Rosemary ham has 60 calories in 2 slices. Trader Joes Vanilla Almond Milk has 40 calories per cup.

The biggest pitfall in dieting is not weighing and measuring all portions. Therefore a scale and a set of measuring cups is a great investment. We often use far more than the recommended portion size and thats why we overeat.

Milk for your cereal is 4 oz for example. 2 slices of that rosemary ham on a sandwich is not much. I hope this helps to answer your questions. Please do not use "poor/bad service" but use "reply" if you have questions. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the great advice. I know how cal counting does always work bc one could be eating a lot of sugar/carbs and maybe not lose the weight.

I weigh about 500lbs

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/805/recentl.jpg/

and want to lose weight as quickly as possible.

What should be the weight of each meal? How is that determined? Thanks.

Expert:  Dr K replied 1 year ago.
Calorie counting does work. You also need a well balanced diet. the help of a dietician in terms of planning is always good.

You should try for 2000-2400 calories a day. At your weight, that may not be attainable in the beginning.

You count the calories, the meals are not based on weight. The scale is useful when your calorie counter requires you to weight portions. Such as a 4 oz piece of meat. The measuring cups are useful for measures of volume.

I hope this helps and good luck!

PS One diet thats great to follow for weight loss for very overweight people is a diabetic diet. Good for control of blood sugar.

Here is a good link for this.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/diabetes-meal-plans-and-a-healthy-diet.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, Im just curious, what made you say that. Why would that not be attainable in the beginning

Expert:  Dr K replied 1 year ago.
You very well may be able to do that calorie intake daily from the start. At the weight you are at, its likely your body is used to considerably more. You dont want to reduce down too fast. That puts your body into a state of starvation or ketosis in which it tries to store fat. It makes it hard to lose weight.