Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Good afternoon, I went for a urinalysis and my test results

Good afternoon,

I went for a urinalysis and my test results showed the following:

WBC 0-5
Bacteria 1+

On Saturday, I had frequent urination and pain in the pelvic area. I am wondering if this is indicative of a UTI.

I just recently finished a 10 day course of Levaquin on the 12th of August and prior to that I had completed an eight day treatment of Levaquin on the 23rd of July for a kidney infection.

I am wondering if I am resistant to Levaquin at this point.

I am a multiple myeloma patient with Leukopenia and Neutropenia.

I am thinking I may benefit from another antibiotic since Levaquin does not seem to be working.

Hi--have you had a urine culture?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, not yet Dr. Chip.

Why the second course of Levaquin?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My symptoms of fever and chills returned so I went to the ER and I was put on a second round of Levaquin.

And what did the second UA at that time show?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The second one showed Bacteria 2+.

Sorry for all the questions--prior to July did you have much of a problem with kidney infections or UTI's?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Prior to July, I did not have any problems with my kidneys. I had a renal ultrasound last week which appeared normal other than a 4.5 cm calicified uterine fibroid.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would I benefit from Keflex?

OK. What I would do now is culture your urine and see exactly which bacteria are causing the infection and to which antibiotics those bacteria are most sensitive so that you can get rid of this. Levaquin is a fine antibiotic but no one antibiotic can be guaranteed to be effective for every bacterial infection. While waiting on the culture results, my next choice for your antibiotic would be either Augmentin or Septra DS.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If the urine culture does not yield any growth, is it possible an infection is still present?

Do wbc's always indicate infection?

WBC's don't always mean infection and the 1+ bacteria could be from what's called contaminants--bacteria in the vaginal or on the labia and not actually causing a UTI. The reason I asked you about prior problems is that your symptoms may be from an overactive bladder or a cystitis that is not an infectious problem so if your cultures were negative I would have a Urologist evaluate you for those.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Chip. I will consult with a urologist.