Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

Presence of mucus in urine and protein is serious ? Protein

Presence of mucus in urine and protein is serious ? Protein shows +1 ( WBC shows 15 and RBC shows 2 the rest of test either not seen or negative ! What should I do next ? Any medication ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 2 years ago.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

The presence of mucus in the urine in most cases represents a UTI. Protein in urine could be from strenous exercise or even fever....but in cases where there is an uderlying condition, you could have protein from Diabetes, heart disease, or even taking certain drugs can cause you to have protein in the urine. However, a kidney infection could also cause this and with the mucus being seen in the urine, and the RBC's in the urine, it sounds like a kidney infection. Antibiotics such as Cipro and Bactrim are often given in these cases.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is UTI stands for ? my fasting blood sugar was 5.5 mmol/l - 91 mg / dl, I had no fever but I do take medication for blood prussure such as norvasic and micardis but last urine test it did not show any mucus or protine !! I am taking omega 3 small dose daily !! Is it related ?

Hi there

UTI stands for urinary tract infection...it sounds like the mucus and protein are from a possible kidney infection. Omega 3 wouldn't cause protein or mucus threads. You can have a UTI and not have a fever and this might also explain why you had the red blood cells and white blood cells to be seen in the urine as well. Your Norvasc and Micardis wouldn't cause the findings.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So most likely it's a kidney infection ? And your advice to take either cipro or bactrim ? If yes - for how many days I should take it ? And what dose it mean when it's +1 ? is it law or it's high ? Please advice me as well on my iron level !! What do you raccomand ?

Thanks for the reply back.

It sure sounds like a kidney infection. Yes, most times, Cipro or Bactrim is given but often times a culture and sensitivity is done on the urine to find out which antibiotic the bacteria is susceptible to (which one will kill it the most effectively)...but this is not done in all cases...most times only in cases where the patient has taken an antibiotic and the infection did not respond. Bactrim is usually doses for 7 - 10 days and the Cipro for 7 days. 1+ or +1 is just the amount seen and it's not a drastic amount.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In regard of urine infection its Very clear but n since we are in the aria of my usual 6 month test can I ask about few things more in my reading ? 1. My iron level is 10 what is your advice ? 2. My c-reactive protein, high sensitivity hs -crp, serum shows in my test 3.24 is it concedered high ?

The iron level being 10 means a low level. Normal is between 12-300 ng/ML for men. The best course of action is to find out why the level is low...and sometimes this means investigating as to why and where the blood loss may be coming from. Checking the stool for the presence of blood, possibly a gastric bleed, intestinal disorders that cause poor absorption of iron (Celiac disease) or even a thyroid that doesn't function as it should (hypothyroidism). So, having your Dr do a little investigating will be key here.

Your C- reactive protein measures a general amount of inflammation in the body....You are at high risk for cardiovascular disease if your hs-CRP level is higher than 3.0 mg/L

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the answer, in reality I had done the thyroid stimulating hormone tsh, serum it shows yesterday result showd 1.05 uU/ml -
But 6 month ago it was 0.84 - my stool is normal no blood seen, but I was in a diet for 6 month and I did cut my red meat for 6 month, I have been adviced to take ferrous gluconate 300mg twice a day ! Should I continue ?

I decreased my chlostrol LDL from 236 to 176 with excersice ( walking ). But cant understand why the triglycerides incresed despute the one hour of walk i do, it went up from 186 to 257, what is your advice ?
Yes continue the iron supplements as prescribed.

Sometimes the triglycerides will raise despite what we do (exercise included). You should continue a low fat diet and exercise as your dr suggests. The dr may also have you on medication for this also to help lower.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks alot so is my thyroid level are fine ? Should I be concerned that my HDL ratio 6.1 and mt HDL cholesterol 46.
Hi there

Your thyroid level should be 0.4 to 4.0....so yours falls in the normal range....low normal but normal.

HDL should be between 40-50, so again that lab value you have is normal.

The cholesterol / HDL ratio for most people, the goal is to keep this ratio below 5:1, with the ideal being below 3.5:1 so yours is slightly elevated.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.