Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.

Question for a DOCTOR or Nutritionist..... Hi there - I

Customer Question

Question for a DOCTOR or Nutritionist.....

Hi there - I am a 30 year old f and I am morbidly obese. I am trying to lose weight before I have gastric bypass surgery. Currently I weight over 400lbs. I am still mobile, I am just very limited with how far I can walk (it has to be with very supportive shoes) however - everything in life has been altered due to my weight over the last 5 years.

I am working on changing my eating habits. Right now I am just on a plan of 'eating healthy' and exercising.

I have subbed "Naked, all natural fruit juice" for soda...and I am just wondering how much of it would be healthy to have per day. I have been on a diet over the last week and half...and basically it took about that long for me to drink a two quart bottle (64OZ) just from taking two or three swiggs a day. Its VERY good! But VERRRRY RICH.......I would drink it as a 'treat' for something sweet, thirst quenching, and a little filling.

The nutrition facts for this item are as follows:
8oz (8 servings per container)

Calories: 150
Calories from fat: 0
Total Fat: 0
Sat Fat: 0
Trans Fat: 0
Cholest: 0

Sodium:10mg 0%
Potassium: 340mg 10%
Total Carb: 36
Dietary Fiber: 0g
Sugars: 30g
Protein: 1g

Vit A 100%
Vit C: 10C%
Calcium: 2%
Iron 2%

Notes:
All sugars are found naturally in the fruit. Not a low calorie food.

Ingredients:
Mango puree
Apple juice
Orange juice
Banana puree
Lemon juice
Natural flavors
Beta carotene (Vitamin A)

So I'm wondering...
1. Is this product safe to have in my EVERYDAY diet?
2. Should I actually MEASURE my intake for this item?
3. Besides V8, do you know of any other drinks or desserts or healthy snacks that are VERY VERY HEALTHY?

Thanks. Also I know 'everything in moderation' I'm just trying to figure....how 'moderate' a day/measuring/etc....thanks....any tips are great.

I look forward to delivering an EXCELLENT review, assuming that the responder cares about my question and gives me full detailed HELPFUL information =)

Thank you kindly! =)
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

Dr. David :

Hello. I would like to help you with your question concerning the "Naked" fruit juice. Fruit juice is certainly much healthier than soda, and I'm glad to hear that you made the switch. However, even fruit juice is loaded with sugar. Because of the high sugar content, it is not a food that will help you lose weight. In this regard, it is not safe to have in your every day diet. If losing weight is your goal, then it would be a good idea to limit all fruit and fruit juices as much as possible. I understand that this can be a process though. Yes, you should actually measure how much of this product you use, if you are going to use it. You could perhaps add a splash to water or carbonated water in order to dilute it. There are some other options for healthy drinks, desserts, and snacks. One very, very healthy drink is called "Kombucha". This one is a good tasting drink that can actually help you lose weight. Here is an example: http://www.synergydrinks.com/enlightened/kombucha_enlightened.aspx Also I remember giving you a bunch of other snack suggestions not too long ago. Dr. David

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that link, it got great reviews. So do you think it would be healthy for me to drink 1 a week? 2 a week? 3 a week? how 'safe' are they....would you say for my position?

and secondly....the only other drink i've questioned is this one:

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-taste-nirvana-coconut-water-i260323

The drink you mentioned still had WAY lower sugar...however I'm very surprised...a few reviews for that product said that it was way too sweet.

Have you personally tried it? I am so excited to try it...thanks ! =)

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. If you like the Kombucha, then it is good to drink to use every day. They are safe and can be helpful for losing weight. Also they are very low in sugar as you mentioned.

I have used Kombucha many times. For me it was a pleasant tasting drink with a sweet taste and a bit of a vinegary bite to it. Some people like the taste, but other people think that it is not sweet enough.

I visited the link that you posted for Nirvana Coconut water. This is OK, but it does have about a tablespoon of sugar per serving. It is perhaps a bit better than the fruit juice, which has about twice as much sugar per serving.

Dr. David, Doctor
Experience: Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.