Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Low neutrophils 18 (22-66% range) and hight lymphs value of

Low neutrophils 18 (22-66% range) and hight lymphs value of 77 (28-66% range) My 2 year old daughter had blood test for her 2yr visit the results are that she has Low neutrophils (18) and high Lymphocytes (77) count. We noticed she had a small bump on her neck when we took her for her 1.5yr check up but at the time she was a bit sick so the Doctor said that lymphs nodes get like that when kids are sick. She got better and the bump went down. But now the bump has return though she is not sick. Also she recently got a mall bump under her left armpit which is small but red and outside the skin. We call to make an appointment with an endocrinologist but that wont be until mid next month. So far we can't find concrete information online as to what can be causing this since she is not showing any symptoms of flu. We are worry that it can be something more serious. We need to know what her value numbers mean.

Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

What was her total white count and why is she seeing an endocrinologist? How exactly was she sick when the blood was drawn?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bellow are some of the details of her blood test.

well the reason she seeing the endocrinologist was because at her 1.5yr visit her Dr advice to take her to check her thyroids if it did not go away after she felt better . and no she was not sick when she had her blood drawn at the time.

Name Value Ref.Range

WBC 6.8 4.8-11.4 x10E3/uL

RBC 4.54 3.96-5.30 x10E6/uL

Hemoglobin 12.8 10.9-14.8 g/dl

Hematocrit 37.8 32.4-43.3%

MCV 83 75-89 fl

HCH 28.2 24.6-30.7 pg

MCHC 33.9 31.7-36.0 g/dL

RDW 13.0 12.3.-15.8 %

Platelets 288 150-440 x10E3/uL

Neutrophils 18 22-60%

Lymphs 77 28-66%

Monocytes 4 3-10%

Eos 1 0-4%

Basos 0 0-2%

Immature Cells

Neutrophils (Absolute) 1.2 12.-5.2 x10E3/uL

Lymphs (Absolute) 5.2 1.6-5.6 x10E3/uL

Monocytes ( Absolute) 0.3 0.2-0.8 x10E3/uL

Eos (Abslolute) 0.1 0.0-0.3 x10E3/uL

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And where exactly is the bump and is that why the thyroid check?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well the bump is on the right side of her neck i believe is her lymph nodes, the reason to the endrocrinologist at the time her Dr. had mention was because she was a bit under weight for her age but at the same time she is really tall as we are really tall parents, so the dr wanted to check to see if they were any hormone related problems. but im worried though as to why her neutrophils and lymps levels are so low and high compare to the ref. range.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--just one more question--did she have any other blood work done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no she has not have any other blood work done. we just got her results today and noticed those levels highlighted. the actual test was done on 06/22 and we were hoping to hear from her dr. in case anything came back bad. we assume everything was fine since we didn't hear anything back all this time, but since we noticed the bump under her armpit we got a bit worried and thought something could be wrong with her glands or something .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. First off, I personally am not too worried about this. Usually the differential that shows this is seen with viral infections like the flu or mononucleosis, but her numbers aren't really that off. If they were more off, then you might suspect leukemia, hepatitis, or autoimmune disorders like lupus. The lump in her arm doesn't sound like a lymph node--more like an infected cyst. The lump in her neck is a little concerning, but when a lymph node is enlarged from leukemia or lymphoma, it doesn't go down and then come back. So that may not even be a lymph node and just a cyst. My first though would be to retest her in a month and see whether, as I suspect they will, the lymps and neutrophils are back in the normal range.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice