Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Good evening, I have noticed that over the course of the

Good evening,

I have noticed that over the course of the day, I had decreased urine output and in the past few hours I have drank three 16.9 fluid ounces of water and have not been able to urinate, but minute amounts. I have also noticed that I gained about 6 pounds in a matter of a few hours.

I am a multiple myeloma patient with leukopenia and neutropenia. I had some symptoms of a urinary tract infection in the past couple of days and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow morning. However, I am very concerned about this decreased urination and wondering if I need to go to the ER.

Hello Eleanor,

This may not be serious or significant, but with your urinary tract infection symptoms for couple of days and history of multiple myeloma, leukopenia and neutropenia; you may need antibiotics immediately. So going to either ER or an urgent care clinic would be recommended for an evaluation. You would also need some blood work like kidney function tests, liver function tests and blood counts.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.