Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

I recently bruised my upper, outer thigh against a bolt on

I recently bruised my upper, outer thigh against a bolt on a tennis net. The main bruise went away but there remains a hard, olive to walnut sized lump under the skin. I am concerned that it hasn't gone away. It doesn't hurt. It's like a goose egg you would get if you hit your head. I've been massaging it, but it doesn't seem to get smaller.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How long are you having this lump? Is it increasing in size?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had the lump about a month. It has not gotten any bigger, maybe just slightly smaller.

Thank you for the information.
Based on your description it sounds like you have developed hematoma which is a collection of blood. Other than that I don't see any other symptoms or features at this time. Usually smaller hematoma without any symptoms can be left there, which eventually gets absorbed leading to self recovery. For larger hematoma, or symptomatic hematoma drainage can be considered. In case, if you see increase in size, severe pain, or warm to touch, please consider doctor visit because that will suggest infection which require proper management. Since you do not have pain or any other symptoms, all you need is recovery time winch may vary from a few weeks to several weeks. In the meantime, you can continue conservative measures and use heating pad. Also, try to avoid further pressure or trauma in that area.

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.