Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My knee feels like it needs to pop but doesn't. What do I do?

My knee feels like it needs to pop but won't. When I try to extend it back and forth to make it pop it hurts. I started cross fit about a month ago, but noticed the knee about 1-2 weeks ago. This week it has gotten worse, now I can feel it when I walk and cannot wear high heels now. It's not excruciating but I've never had this before. Is this something that requires medical attention?
I've recently lost over 70lbs and want to continue so the thought of not working out due to my knee has me concerned. I did some sight-seeing and walked over a mile yesterday and it started hurting towards the end and I'm feeling it today. Walking seems like it is as low impact as it gets. Any suggestions on cardio exercises I can do that will not further aggravate my knee?
I do hot yoga 3-5x week. I've been doing this for almost a year. I don't know if yoga will help it or make it worse. I haven't been in over a week. Sorry for the long question! :) Thank you for your time. :-D

Are you saying that the knee actually catches, won't completely extend briefly and then pops into full extension?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. It extends just fine. It doesn't pop. It feels like it needs to. For ex: I just stood up and tried to lock my knee and it feels like it needs to pop but it wont and it hurts. Its hard to explain. :)

Are you saying it feels a bit stiff? Where exactly is the pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No not stiff. It feels like its inside my knee ( kind of the front/middle)

Just behind the kneecap or more in the exact center of the knee?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hmmm....It feels like its more towards kneecap.

OK. As you can imagine it's a bit difficult here since I can't examine you and the symptoms (not your fault) are a bit on the vague side, but you may either have a problem with bursitis or something called chondromalacia patellae which is a problem with the cartilage behind the kneecap. I'd suggest an MRI of the knee and perhaps some physical therapy and maybe a cortisone injection.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thx. What about exercising? Any suggestions on cardio exercises I can do that will not further aggravate my knee?

Do you know what could have caused this sudden onset?

If it's bursitis, which I think is most likely, that can occur without any obvious cause. For now, cycling, either with a bike or on a machine, swimming and exercises in water up to your chest, abdominal crunches are all fine.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What about yoga?

That's fine.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your time and information.