Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

A few weeks ago I was diagnosed as having a urinary tract infection.

A few weeks ago I was diagnosed as having a urinary tract infection. I was put on an antbiotic and the next day I felt worse, not better. A few days later I had what looked like a acne-like rash on my chin, chest & back. I was taken off the antibiotic and told it was an allergic reaction. I was put on allergy medication and another antibiotic to get rid of the infection. However, even with the allergy medication even days later I was experiencing itchiness which even travelled to the palms of my hands and bottom of my feet. I couldn't see it, but feel it. This did start to ease up, but then I felt what I thought was simply dry skin on my face and chest. It has now turned into bumps that are not hugely noticable but feel horrible all over my face, chest and back. The palms of my hands are peeling. It doesn't hurt at all, but I have no idea what is causing this and it feels awful to look at and touch. It just keeps continuing to get worse. I have never had even an allergic reaction until now. I don't know what it could be.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

Have you told the doctor that prescribed the antibiotics to you about these symptoms? Because there is a rare allergic response that can occur called Steven's Johnson Syndrome that is quite serious and needs close monitoring to prevent from fully manifesting. If your skin is still peeling as you mentioned along with these other symptoms you may need more allergy medication (or a different one) and corticosteroids, even possibly IV corticosteroids rather than just orally.

I'm not sure what time zone you are in, but I'd suggest you call the doctor and let them know about the skin peeling.

If your doctor's office is not available, then you should go into an Urgent Care center or ER, especially if these symptoms are increasing, rather than resolving.

I can provide you more details on what to expect and answer any additional questions you may have as well.

In order for me to provide you any additional information you need, please click on "Continue the Conversation" or "Reply". (We have a new rating and feedback system and by pressing "Continue the Conversation" or "Reply" you will allow me to continue assisting you until you have all the information you need.)

Once all your questions have been answered and you are ready to rate me, I hope that you will click on 5 (great service).

Until that time, I am happy to continue to do everything I can to provide you with great service.

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS