Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I had a bubble inside my mouth that was filled with fluid,

Customer Question

I had a bubble inside my mouth that was filled with fluid, it was towards the bottom of my lip close to my gums. I doesnt hurt or bother me. It popped and am now concerned that it may have been herpes or cold sore inside my mouth. I do have HSV1 but only get it around every 3 years on my lip. But this was a bubble inside my mouth towards the very bottom of my lip. What was it? And can it spread cold sores to my lip? Please help, thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
This was just one "blister?" How large was it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
small, and yes just one inside my mouth lower lip closer to my gums
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is not bothering me, but I am paranoid as I really dont want to have cold sore. I just had one in may, and usually its around 3 years I get them, and want to avoid them as much as possible.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--doesn't sound herpetic--more than likely a mucocele--a benign cyst that can come from the salivary gland but can just occur on the oral mucosa. These usually resolve on their own, as yours did.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can it spread to form a cold sore. I didn't realize it but after I popped it, I licked my lips. I really was not thinking. There was no white fluid or anything it just looked clear, but was a little bit pink around the clear fluid. I am just freaking out and really want to ensure it is not going to give me cold sore since I licked my lips a few minutes after it popped. Thank you,
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No-it's not an infection--viral or otherwise. Don't worry--this won't lead to a cold sore.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was reading online from someone that stated they had a fluid like bubble inside their mouth, and they popped it with a needle, and washed their mouth with scope, and ten minutes later she had a tingling feeling and then little blisters developed on her lip, and what was more like a cold sore. I know I may be over reacting, but this is crucial for me and am now stressing out that it can lead to this.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Don't do the online medical blogs and it's best not to Google any symptoms. I have no idea what was going on with that one person, but you don't develop cold sores in the space of ten minutes. This wasn't a cold sore--trust me--and you have no reason to be concerned.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had these before but usually around the inside of my cheek and not that low inside my lower lip and it was a little bit bigger than normal this time. around the size of a peppercorn. Should I wash my mouth with hand soap to ensure that it does not lead to a cold sore? Or I am completely ok to not worry and just relax. Promise last question. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No problem with the questions--I know you're concerned. Cold sores don't occur in this area. Don't wash your mouth out with soap and just brush your teeth and swish and garble with a mouthwash--you don't need to do any more and, again, this isn't a cold sore and it won't lead to cold sores.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Any time