Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I had a bubble inside my mouth that was filled with fluid,

I had a bubble inside my mouth that was filled with fluid, it was towards the bottom of my lip close to my gums. I doesnt hurt or bother me. It popped and am now concerned that it may have been herpes or cold sore inside my mouth. I do have HSV1 but only get it around every 3 years on my lip. But this was a bubble inside my mouth towards the very bottom of my lip. What was it? And can it spread cold sores to my lip? Please help, thank you.
This was just one "blister?" How large was it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
small, and yes just one inside my mouth lower lip closer to my gums
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is not bothering me, but I am paranoid as I really dont want to have cold sore. I just had one in may, and usually its around 3 years I get them, and want to avoid them as much as possible.
OK--doesn't sound herpetic--more than likely a mucocele--a benign cyst that can come from the salivary gland but can just occur on the oral mucosa. These usually resolve on their own, as yours did.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can it spread to form a cold sore. I didn't realize it but after I popped it, I licked my lips. I really was not thinking. There was no white fluid or anything it just looked clear, but was a little bit pink around the clear fluid. I am just freaking out and really want to ensure it is not going to give me cold sore since I licked my lips a few minutes after it popped. Thank you,
No-it's not an infection--viral or otherwise. Don't worry--this won't lead to a cold sore.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was reading online from someone that stated they had a fluid like bubble inside their mouth, and they popped it with a needle, and washed their mouth with scope, and ten minutes later she had a tingling feeling and then little blisters developed on her lip, and what was more like a cold sore. I know I may be over reacting, but this is crucial for me and am now stressing out that it can lead to this.
Don't do the online medical blogs and it's best not to Google any symptoms. I have no idea what was going on with that one person, but you don't develop cold sores in the space of ten minutes. This wasn't a cold sore--trust me--and you have no reason to be concerned.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have had these before but usually around the inside of my cheek and not that low inside my lower lip and it was a little bit bigger than normal this time. around the size of a peppercorn. Should I wash my mouth with hand soap to ensure that it does not lead to a cold sore? Or I am completely ok to not worry and just relax. Promise last question. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it
No problem with the questions--I know you're concerned. Cold sores don't occur in this area. Don't wash your mouth out with soap and just brush your teeth and swish and garble with a mouthwash--you don't need to do any more and, again, this isn't a cold sore and it won't lead to cold sores.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you
Any time