Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

I am male and 41. Every now and then i go dizzy, going on for

I am male and 41. Every now and then i go dizzy, going on for about 9 months, sometimes i go flushed and feel hot and feverish with it. I don't pass out or feel hot. I feel generally unwell, i take my BP when I'm like this and it is much higher than usual, as high as 180 systolic. My heart rate is also up around 100 at these times. Any ideas? I am not particularly anxious person. Previous history, had ear surgery in april to remove cholesteatoma (ear looks good said ENT) otherwise no medical history. Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today. I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Since how long you have these symptoms?
Have you undergone any tests so far?
What was your last blood pressure reading?
Are you taking any medication for high blood pressure?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Started 9 months ago, the dizziness and flushing began when i was eating but have had both since independent of eating, and independent of each other. Had blood tests at christmas last year incl a coeliac test as had diahrrea at the time, but all was normal. My blood pressure was very high at that consultation 182 systolic.
My last BP reading was 130/79, however this can vary and be near 160/170 sys and 90/100 diast. I am on no medication. Recently have had high heart rate, 80-100.
Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The dizziness you are having is most likely because of your fluctuations in blood pressure & high blood pressure.The range of systolic blood pressure for most healthy adults falls between 90 and 120 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg). Normal diastolic blood pressure ranges between 60 and 80 mm Hg.You need to consult your doctor at ER.

The goal of treatment is to reduce blood pressure so that you can have a lower risk of complications.You need to see doctor who will check blood pressure & if it is elevated,then you will be prescribed with anti hypertensive medication accordingly.Following will help in reducing the blood pressure:

-Restrict your salt intake.
-Drink plenty of water.
-Limit alcohol & avoid smoking.
-If you are overweight,then loose weight.Loosing weight is very important.
-Eat a healthy diet.
-Eat less fat and sodium.

So I advice for you to consult your doctor at ER & accordingly anti hypertensive medications like ACE inhibitors,beta blocker,calcium channel blocker or diuretic drug will be prescribed accordingly.

Hope this helped.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question. Please be sure to rate my answer as this is the only way by which I will get credit for my work

Kind Regards-
Dr.Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, i appreciate the blood pressure needs controlling and I could improve lifestyle. Do you think there could be an endocrine cause or i need to mention this to the doctor? It was just my symptoms come and go, and my BP isn't always high when I go dizzy and/or flush. I do feel a bit feverish quite often and general malaise. Thanks
Dear XXXXX
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

The most common causes of high blood pressure are:

-Stress(one of the major factor).
-Being overweight or obese,
-Family history,
-Too much salt (sodium) in your diet,
-Having high cholesterol,
-Eating a diet low in potassium, magnesium, and calcium.
-Being insulin-resistant
-There are various underlying causes for secondary hypertension.

Endocrine disorders are rare causes of high blood pressure.You need various tests to know the exact underlying cause of this fluctuation in blood pressure & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Till then you can take tab meclizine hydrochloride(brand name: Dramamine) to treat dizziness.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Hope this helped.

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.
Please be sure to rate my answer when our correspondence is complete

Kind Regards-
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in the uk so i don't think meclizine is available OTC. What concerns me most is the rush i feel when i am dizzy, flushed, hot but with freezing hands, the rush is like pressure in my head/chest. This makes me anxious but not anxiety that starts it all. It makes me think it has a hormonal cause. I do agree however that BP is a good starting point.
Dear XXXXX

There are 2 types of hypertension:

1.Primary hypertension:It means that the cause of high blood pressure is not known.

2.Secondary hypertension-Secondary hypertension is a type of hypertension which by definition is caused by an identifiable underlying secondary cause.Endocrine glands abnormality is a rare cause of this hypertension.When present following can be the causes:

-Pheochromocytoma
-Cushing's syndrome
-Hyperparathyroidism
-Hyperthyroidism
-Hypothyroidism

So your doctor will run series of tests to diagnose/rule out various cause & hence its treatment accordingly.

Please do not forget to rate my answer when our correspondence is complete

Kind Regards-
Dr.Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist