Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness

I was coming down off of a ladder and fell with one leg stuck

I was coming down off of a ladder and fell with one leg stuck inside. Although I can move both legs, I am hurting in my leg, lower back and tail bone. I don't really have any swelling, but I am wondering if i could have a fracture since it hurts so bad when I walk.
Hello JACustomer,

I am sorry to read of this, it sounds so painful. I would like to try and help you but need some additional information. When you fell, what part did you hit/ what was struck? Your leg was stuck in between the ladder slats? Do you have any numbness, tingling or pins and needles sensation in your legs/ lower back or abdomen? Have you been able to go to the bathroom since? (Any problems urinating or bowel movements?) How long ago did this happen?

Thanks for clarifying,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello. It happened about 5 hours ago. I have urinated twice since then and did not have any issues. The only thing that hurt was sitting on the toilet itself. My leg was caught in between the slats, but the way I fell I hit where my tailbone and back connect. The angle i fell at hit more of my tailbone on teh left side. I am not having any numbness, mostly throbbing. Even when I am still it hurts. Bending is the worst right now.

Hi JACustomer,

Walking under ladders is supposed to be unlucky, not climbing them. I am so sorry again. My computer misbehaved, that is why there was a delay in my reply. I apologize. Please understand that online, no one can state anything with 100% certainty, all I can offer is my best educated guess based on what you've written.

And from what you write, I do wonder if you may have broken not your leg (though thats not outside the realm of possible), but your tailbone or coccyx or maybe even a vertebrae a bit higher. That would indeed cause pain on walking, and bending would be painful as well.

That you have no numbness or tingling in your legs, and that you have normal urination is very good, it tells me that as of now, if there is a break, it so far is not impinging on nerves. (The nerves that control the bladder are come from a higher vertebrae than the tailbone) But I cant be assured that you do NOT have a potentially dangerous break which could affect the nerves in your legs.

I am giving you some more information on tailbone injuries. It says that injuries to this area generally do NOT need to be seen in the ER. I am going to strongly disagree, because I do not know what you did or where you did it, and the potential for real damage is very strong if there is a break above this area. So, I DO think you should head to the ER to get this checked out...just to be on the safe side. Its been five hours and you are still in such pain. While muscle strains are painful, and you may have wrenched a muscle or two, I cant, online, take that chance. So, please go to the ER...have someone drive you.

Further Information:

We have a new rating system I would like to explain, but first, if you have any questions
whatsoever, or there is anything more that I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system and click “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply." to submit your follow up question.

When you are ready to rate me, please understand, my aim is to get a rating of 5 (Great service) for every question. (This is why it is important you ask all your questions before rating me). Clicking on either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me . It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

I'm standing by to hear from you if you have further questions.

I hope I was able to help, and wish you a quick recovery.
Hi Julie,

I am writing to ask how you are feeling, and what the results of any tests or exams were, if you had any. I hope you are feeling much better and pain free.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Nurse Susan,

Back on 8/9/2012, I requested that you follow up with me today to see if my issue was resolved. If I give you a positive rating for this follow-up, JustAnswer will pay you since it's included with my membership. Detail Required: HIGH; Urgency: HIGH

Hello Julie...

I am writing to find out how you are feeling; I understand you wished a follow up. Please let me know what I can do to help you. I hope you are feeling much better and would still love to know what any tests and exams you had showed.