Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

My fingernails on my right hand unusually breaking off at the

My fingernails on my right hand unusually breaking off at the end now. What has change is I have to wear a plastic glove where I handle food now. My hand sweats a lot during this time the glove is on. I don't see any redness on my hand just that my fingernails see to be a little more brittle now. Can you provide me with somethings I could use to help with this? Thanks
If your fingernails are brittle and they break easily, then a homemade remedy for this problem is to add more biotin in your daily diet. Biotin, which is a member of the Vitamin B family, helps circumvent fingernails cracking and breaking. Where can you find biotin? In egg yolk, liver, Brewer's yeast, cauliflower, lentils, soybeans, peanuts, and walnuts.
You should drink plenty of water every day to keep your body hydrated and your fingernails in good shape. Staying hydrated will help prevent your nails from chipping off. But, when you wash the dishes or perform other tasks that keep your hands in water for an extended period of item, you should protect them from the water by wearing rubber gloves. Wearing rubber gloves will also protect your fingernails from harsh dishwashing detergents.

Soaking your fingernails is another homemade remedy for damaged fingernails. Before you think about picking up a bottle of a soaking product at your local drugstore, look in your kitchen cupboard instead for a homemade remedy. Vegetable or pure olive oil works better because neither contain alcohol or other artificial ingredients that can dry out and further hurt damaged nails.

You can either pour some vegetable or pure olive into a small bowl and soak your damaged fingernails. Or, you can simply brush some of the oil onto your fingernails. Then, massage the oil into your fingers and nails.

To help repair damaged fingernails, another homemade remedy you can use is petroleum jelly. Rub some petroleum jelly onto your nails and around the cuticles before you go to bed. This remedy will keep your nails hydrated. The rubbing will also promote healthy circulation that can help repair damaged fingernails.

And finally, until you have repaired your damaged fingernails by using these homemade remedies, keep your nails trimmed short so they are less likely to break or crack. The best time to trim your nails is after bathing. Or, after you have soaked them and they are soft and pliable.