Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

My dad has been sick for about 9 months and he has had every

My dad has been sick for about 9 months and he has had every test known to man and there is nothing medically wrong with him BUT here are his symptoms : gas build up causing him to have shortness of breath and a fullness feeling at times and has NO energy he has lost about 30 pounds in the 9 months and yet he eats he is 78 years old and the doctors basically say its in his head but there is something not right . any Ideas ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hello JACustomer,

I am so sorry to hear of your fathers illness. I would like to try to help you but I need allot more information. Does he feel worse after eating certain foods? Grains, or dairy, or high in fat, etc...If so, which foods are they? What makes him feel better? What makes him feel worse?

You've said hes had scopes and ultrasounds and CT scans...has he had any blood work? If so, what did that show? I am interested in his liver and pancreas enzymes, if you have that information. You would see it on the bloodwork report as SGOT/ GGOT/ AST/ ALT or amylase and lipase.

How are his bowel movements? Are they normal in color and consistency?
Thank you for clarifying,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi he has had blood work and not really sure what kind but all his test come back negative he has tried to cut dairy and wheat but nothing changes.. It doesn't matter what he eats its a constant. I don't think they checked enzymes but they have done an ct and ultrasound on his liver/gallbladder/ pancreas. we are seeing his doctors again in Sept and I just want some help in what to ask extra and what might be causing this . He is having regular bowl movements now but in the beginning not
Hello JACustomer,

Thanks for that additional detail. Please understand that online I cant state anything with 100% certainty, I can only give my best educated guess based on what you wrote. I am so sorry for your father and I hope I can help give some guidance. Despite what you wrote about nothing changing even though he cut out wheat, I am still wonder whether he may have something called celiac disease, which is an allergy to gluten.

Gluten is found in more than just wheat; it is also present in barley, rye, and possibly oats. The symptoms of celiac disease are very much like what your father has been experiencing, the bloating, the gas, the weight loss. People with celiac disease can also have lactose intolerance, but not all will.

Other symptoms of celiac disease include fatigue, easy bruising, itchy skin, cramps, and allot more, and is due to the fact that the gluten allergy and its reaction in the intestines prevents the body from absorbing needed nutrients. People with celiac disease can have constipation or diarrhea, and sometimes have stools that float and smell truly foul.

There is a blood test for celiac, its a transglutamine antibody test. You may wish to speak to your doctor regarding that.

More information on celiac disease is here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001280/

When you are ready to rate me, please understand, my aim is to get a rating of 5 (Great service) for every question. (This is why it is important you ask all your questions before rating me). Clicking on either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me . It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

I'm standing by to hear from you if you have further questions.

I hope I was able to help, and that your father feels better soon.
Sincerely,
Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness