Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

What is an effective OTC treatment for toenail fungus? I have

What is an effective OTC treatment for toenail fungus? I have one nail that has thickened and has red inflamed skin surrounding the nail - very sore to touch.

Thank you
Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.

The best over the counter medicine to use is Lamisil. It will relieve your symptoms and This medication helps a new nail grow free of infection, slowly replacing the infected portion of your nail. You typically take these medications for six to 12 weeks, but you won't see the end result of treatment until the nail grows back completely. It may take four months or longer to eliminate an infection. Recurrent infections are possible, especially if you continue to expose your nails to warm, moist conditions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you..... So the ads I hear about laser treatment for fungus are not necessary?
Try Lamisil for the recommended amount of time before exploring more in depth procedures. Lamisil takes care of the fungus entirely for most people.