Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

Hi, my question is just regarding the time it takes from

my question is just regarding the time it takes from eating food to turning into gas. I ask because I am quite gassy and depending on my state as in nervous, excited, calm etc, as well as the foods I’ve eaten seems to have a direct correlation to when and how much gas seems to bubble up and get expelled.

I was recently visiting a friend who told me that the food I eat takes 24 hrs to digest therefore I couldn’t have gas immediately from certain foods, as I told her I did.

I know my own body and I am sure that after eating some foods, I get a fairly quick reaction time of gas build up. She insisted I was wrong!

Thank you for any info you can provide!

While it is true that gas formation occurring by the digestion of food from bacteria, occurs mostly in the large colon around 24 hours and longer after consuming food, gas can also occur in the upper GI tract (esophagus, stomach, small intestine, and large intestine) soon after eating..

Upper GI gas, can come from swallowed air (occurs in everyone, but more in certain individuals - often from eating quickly, drinking carbonated drinks, smoking, chewing gum or dentures)

Additionally, carbon dioxide (a gas) is released when stomach acids mix with the bicarbonate in digestive juices (during digestion) soon after eating in the stomach. Carbohydrates for example tend to cause more gas in the stomach and small intestine than do protein... Certain medical conditions such as delayed digestion can result in more gas in the upper GI as well.

So,yes, it is possible that you are experiencing gas right after eating related to the type of food you are eating.

I hope this helps you in discussing this issue with your friend.

Please feel free to follow up with any questions you may have..

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. It is my goal to provide you with great service and my aim is to get a rating of 5. So again, if you have additional questions, please temporarily bypass the rating system by
clicking "Continue the Conversation" or "Reply." until you have received all the information you need.

I'm standing by to see if you need any further details!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX my question and I’m going to forward this to my friend who was so sure she was right and I was wrong!