Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

I have a uti caused by a bacteria called klebsiela pneumoniae.

Customer Question

I have a uti caused by a bacteria called klebsiela pneumoniae. This is from the urine culture performed by the lab. My doctor prescribed Cipro based on the culture. No other bacteria were identified. He also suggested I take flagyl along with the Cipro although it is not listed as one of the medications for this bacteria. I am worried about taking another drug that may not be ifbenefit intb case. What do you think?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hello JACustomer,

I would like to try and help you, but I need some more information. Did your doctor give you any reason for his suggestion to take flagyl? Was the UTI the only issue that you saw your doctor for?

Thanks for clarifying,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The uti was the only thing o was being treated for. The only explanation he gave me was that he had used flagyl on the past for utid and it had helped? T
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are u still there?
Hello JACustomer,

I hope I can help you here; please understand though that online I can not state anything with 100% certainty, all I can offer is my best educated guess based upon what youve written.

And frankly, what you've written is very perplexing. Your own research is correct, flagyl is not really used for Klebsiella infections most of the time, and not for uncomplicated UTI's certainly. Flagyl is also not a medicine to prescribe just for a whim, it can have really horrid side effects of cramping and vomiting and taste changes, and if you drink alcohol with it, the reaction is truly abominable.

I am not your doctor, and I can not tell you to NOT take a medication. But I as well question this. Here is an article...written for doctors, on the "treatment" page, and you can clearly see that it does not list flagyl (or its generic name metrodiazole) as a treatment for a Klebsiella UTI: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/219907-treatment

Here is information on Flagyl, you can see its not so benign: http://www.rxlist.com/flagyl-drug.htm
You can also see that Klebsiella is not one of the listed organisms Flagyl treats.

I really can not tell you to go against doctors advice, but I do suggest you call up your doctor and ask just why he suggests you take Flagyl. "It worked for other people" is not a good enough reason for you to be on it, given its side effects and the whole principle of antibiotic resistance in general. Maybe he has other reasons that are not immediately obvious to you or to me. But from where I sit, I can not understand it, and I suggest you ask him about it.

I hope that helped,
Sincerely,
Susan

Just Answer has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, not the site itself.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" button. Let me know the issue you have and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today.
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you
Hello JACustomer,

You are very welcome, thank you for the lovely rating. I hope you feel better soon.
Sincerely,
Susan