Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

I have had intermittent BPPV for years which normally subsides

Customer Question

I have had intermittent BPPV for years which normally subsides on its own, or with an epley manouevre, however this last bout has lasted for about 1 year, epley's do not work, and although I can manage with the symptoms it os somewhat limiting. Instead of getting the dizziness when I roll over on my right ear which is my bad ear, I get it when I recline backwards - I believe this is anterior BPPV - does anyone have a procedure to loosen these particles as my ENT consultant is at a loss.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today. I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

What tests have you underwent?
Are you taking any oral medications?
Do you have any headache?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dix hallpike - negative for right ear, nystagmus provoked when standing gaze following a pen.

Levothyroxine

No headaches

Dear Glennis,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)is caused by a disturbance within the balance organs of the inner ear.

You need the following tests:

-Electronystagmography (ENG)
-Videonystagmography (VNG),
-ABR or auditory brain response.

The treatment includes medications like:anticholinergics, antihistamines, and benzodiazepines.Canalith repositioning is required.Its a simple procedure in which your doctor or physical therapist maneuvers the position of your head. This procedure is usually effective after one or two treatments.

Following procedures may be done:the Semont maneuver,The Brandt-Daroff exercises,Log roll exercises.Drink more fluids especially water.

So I advice you to consult your doctor for the prescription of these medications & procedures accordingly.Till than take tab. dimenhydrinate.It is available over-the-counter & will provide you great relief.

Hope this helped.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question. Please be sure to rate my answer as this is the only way by which an expert can get credit for his work.

Kind Regards-
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Not qualified in BPPV

Please only respond if you are qualified in BPPV

Thank you.
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hello JACustomer,

I am not a specialist per say in BPPV, but I have had vertigo since 2006 so have had a very personal education about the topic and its various causes....including BPPV (which I do not have, unfortunately). One of the foremost vertigo specialists in the world is Dr. Timothy Hain, of the Dizziness and Balance center in Chicago, USA.

He has an article on anterior BPPV and its treatment, explaining the pathology of it, and which has many different exercises to try for treatment Anterior BPPV is a rare form of BPPV and not as much studied as conventional BPPV. I include the link for you here as the article is way too long and too detailed to summarize adequately: http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/acbppv/anteriorbppv.htm

I hope you and your treating ENT can make good use of the information in the article. I wrote to Dr. Hain regarding my own case and he was kind enough to send me a polite reply; if you needed to consult with him on yours I do not doubt (but cant promise) he would answer your email as well. His contact information is here: http://dizzy-doctor.com/cv_hain.php

I hope that helps, and I truly hope you feel better soon...I know just how awful vertigo is.
Sincerely,
Susan

Just Answer has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, not the site itself.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" button. Let me know the issue you have and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today.
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness