Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

I think I have pulled a musle in my hip area tripped overmy

I think I have pulled a musle in my hip area tripped overmy shoe but was able to break thefall. I get a catching kind of pain quite sore just below the hip bone at the back. What way should I treat it. Thank you XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 2 years ago.
Hello JACustomer,

I would like to try and help you but need some more information. I am a bit confused; did you fall at all? Did you strike or hit your back or hip (or anywhere else)? If you did, any bruising or swelling noted? Please also explain what you mean by a "catching" sort of pain. Can you walk at all?

Thanks for clarifying,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Susan No I did not fall caught onto some clothes hanging on the wardrobe door. I can walk no problem.I did not fall or strike anything just triped backwards. By catching I mean a sudden pain when I am not expecting it. I have just tried a hot water bottle and it is giving me relief
Hello JACustomer,

Good, I am happy you did not fall, and I hope I can help you here. Please understand that no one online can state anything with certainty, all I can do is offer my best educated guess based on what you wrote.

And from what you wrote it does sound like you pulled that muscle when you tripped. Heat is great for a spasming muscle, the heat will relax those taut muscle fibers. Some people find cold can help as well, but cold can tend to make it worse for some; cold is more for a physical trauma...if you had hit or banged the area. Rest is good as well; if it were a an ankle or a wrist I would suggest elevating the limb...but thats not possible with a hip.

As long as it is feeling better I am relieved. The fact you can walk well makes me feel better and more confident you did not do anything horrid to yourself. If the pain comes back though, or gets worse or agonizingly severe, or difficulty urination, I would suggest you get checked out just to make sure you did not do any more damage than just a muscle pull.

More information on muscle strains: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/muscle-strain

I hope you continue to feel better,
Sincerely,
Susan

Just Answer has recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, not the site itself.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" button. Let me know the issue you have and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today.
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness