Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hello - and thank you for your time. My mother, who is 79,

Hello - and thank you for your time.

My mother, who is 79, and in relatively good health, tells me her hands are starting to shake sometimes. My mother only takes medication -for high blood pressure (diovan) and vitamin D and magnesium.

Is this just from age? If so: is there medication t correct it? Sh says it is not very severe - but she worries it will continue to get worse.

Thank you again for your time and patience.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Hand tremors at her age can be a sign of Parkinson's disease.

mysticdoc :

Dementia is another possibility

mysticdoc :

There are medications to treat tremors.

mysticdoc :

But before taking medications it is better to see a neurologist for a full evaluation.

Customer:

What type of meds treat this?

Customer:

Are there tests for Parkinson's? Is it hereditary?

mysticdoc :

parkinson;s is diagnosed clinically.

mysticdoc :

Brain MRI is done to rule out other causes like stroke, tumors, aneurysm etc.

mysticdoc :

Benztropine ( anticholinergic), ropinirole, pramipexole ( dopa agonist), levodopa are commonly used for treatment.

Customer:

I see.

I asked about the parkinson's being hereditary becaseu I am not aware of anyone in the family ever having that disease

mysticdoc :

Most of the cases of parkinson's are sporadic meaning no hereditary role.

mysticdoc :

only few cases may be linked to genetic

Customer:

OK - then we need to have her primary physician recommend a neurologist for tests?

He/she will know which tests to perform??

mysticdoc :

yes correct

mysticdoc :

a neurological examination is the most important test by a neurologist

Customer:

OK - thank you very much for your help

mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

best wishes

Customer:

P,S, - she had c.diff for several months. ... this is not related at all??

mysticdoc :

Unlikely unless she is still very weak.

Customer:

No - she seems to have recovered fully - only needs the magnesium and vitamin d since the problem. But she seems to be fine now. Dr believed sh got it from antibiotics

mysticdoc :

It can be related to antibiotic but early onset parkinson's is often misdiagnosed.

mysticdoc :

It is better to exclude that possibility.

mysticdoc :

Antibiotic related tremor should improve over time otherwise.

Customer:

OK - thank you for your time. Good night

mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

good night

Customer:
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD