Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness

I take medication for bipolar disorder and adult adhd. My psychiatrist

Customer Question

I take medication for bipolar disorder and adult adhd. My psychiatrist recently had me do blood testing to get more knowledge of what my body is going through. However at my last appointment they told me that my adhd medication did not show up in my blood test. How is this possible? Now they are telling me that in order to continue refilling my prescription I have to take a saliva test at 650.00$ which i cannot afford. What does this test show. I get the feeling they are accusing me of selling my meds instead of taking them. However I take them religously and in a high dose. What tests can be done to show that I am taking my prescriptions as described.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 4 years ago.
Hello JACustomer,

I would like to try and help you but I need some more information. What medications are you taking and when (what time of day) do you take them? What time was this test?

Thanks for the additional detail,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The medication in question is for my ADHD. Vyvanse. 150 mg ER 1 time per day. I took it at 830-9. The blood test was done around 11.
Hello JACustomer,

Absolutely the Vyvanse you took, if you were taking it on a regular basis, should show up on a blood test IF the test was correctly ordered. A regular blood panel for amphetamine might not show Vyvance because it does not check for that particular metabolite of amphetamine. A therapeutic blood test for Vyvanse, however, would show its presence in your system.

Humans are not perfect and its possible that the lab made an error. If you can ask to have the test redone and make certain which test was being done (general test for amphetamine vs specific to Vyvanse) it would be helpful.

Here is what a normal Amphetamine blood panel tests for: You will see the chemical derivative name for Vyvanse is not there (lisdexamfetamine).

This is the test for Vyvanse:

I would ask your doctor to retake the blood test, which seems reasonable if he is willing to check a saliva test which would be at a later date.

I hope that helps,

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two starts on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" button. Let me know the issue you have and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today.