Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My sister has just been diagnosed with Stage 4 Inflammatory

My sister has just been diagnosed with Stage 4 Inflammatory Breast cancer and bone cancer. the doctor said she has probably had it for awhile. She is also in stage 3 kidney disease. she is 56 years old. She has refused all treatment other than hormone therapy due to her compromised kidney situation. She is at the best of hospitals and top of the line physician care. No one, however, will give her an approximate timeline for howlong she has approx. to live. She finds this very upsetting and is not an emotionally weak person so why they dance around the question is beyond all of us. In researching, the best answer I could find was 4 -18 months due to inability to have surgery or do chemo/radiation. I would like the opinion of a professional. Realizing that no one really knows, a wide berth will be given to your answer. Thank You

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Inflammatory breast cancer is associated with poor prognosis.

mysticdoc :

Stage 4 inflammatory breast cancer without any chemoradiation therapy carries worst prognosis.

mysticdoc :

The average survival may vary between 1 month to 18 months in stage 4 without any treatment.

mysticdoc :

Hormonal treatment opted by your sister may provide some benefit.

mysticdoc :

It is very unfortunate situation and average survival will be less than a year.

mysticdoc :

The 5 year survival is only 40% with surgery, radiation and adjuvant chemotherapy.

mysticdoc :

Hence, without any treatment, the average life span will be less than a year, barring exceptions.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes

mysticdoc :

and my full sympathy

Customer:

I thank you for your honesty and found basically the same from my own research. I needed a confirmation and very greatly appreciate your forthright answer.