911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

High Bilirubin of 1.9 is that a concern?

Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

it is slightly high, this may or may not be of concern... why was the level drawn and what medical problems do you have?

Customer:

becuse I was dizzy, dont have any problems

911Doctor :

good

911Doctor :

then your doctor will simply want to recheck your bilirubin level in a month or two to make sure it has either gone down or not changed

911Doctor :

things that can elevate bilirubin levels are diseases of the liver and gall bladder

911Doctor :

and there are others as well

911Doctor :

as a physician and if you were simply getting labs drawn as a screen

911Doctor :

this would not raise my eyebrows

911Doctor :

by itself

911Doctor :

especially if you are not having symptoms

911Doctor :

levels that would make me want to do more right away would be levels of 3 or above

911Doctor :

many people have a genetic probelm called Gilbert's syndrome

911Doctor :

in which this would be a normal level

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

I know its high for a long time

911Doctor :

then it REALLU does not concern me

911Doctor :

a stable, slightly high biliribin is of little concern

911Doctor :

a bilirubin level that persistently rises IS a concern

911Doctor :

GILBERT'S SYNDROME

911Doctor :

since your levels have been slightly high for a while Gilbert's syndrome is something to consider

911Doctor :

you may read about it by clicking the above link

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

Can it be because I had hepatitis as a kid?

911Doctor :

no

911Doctor :

very unlikely

911Doctor :

what kind of hepatitis did you have?

Customer:

the common one?

911Doctor :

that was likely hepatitis A

911Doctor :

and that would not do it

911Doctor :

though hepatitis B and C can be chronic

911Doctor :

very unlikely that you had either of these

911Doctor :

i must go as i have a patient waiting, but since you are concerned i would bring your concerns to your doctor and ask specifically if you might have Gilbert's syndrome

911Doctor :

other than that simply checking on this from time to time is all that is needed in this case

911Doctor :

i will thank you in advance for a positive rating and will check back when i can to see if you have any follow up questions

911Doctor :

have a great day

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
i am back at my computer if you have any follow up questions.

best