911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I have had a doctor tell me that I have a yeast overgrowth

Customer Question

I have had a doctor tell me that I have a yeast overgrowth in my intestines due to overuse of antibiotics and severe long-term stress that is causing my symptoms of recurrent sinus infections (CT shows sinuses are clear and I have had sinus surgery), fatigue, nasal congestion, headaches, irritable bowel syndrome, brain fog, poor sleep and heart palpitations. However, I would like to confirm that this is case prior to taking 100 mg of Diflucan for 21 days. I've been taking probiotics for the last few weeks, but he says this is not sufficient to arrest the yeast overgrowth. I'm worried about side effects of that much Diflucan and creating yeast that is resistant to anti-fungals that will overgrow. Is there a test to confirm if their is yeast overgrowth in my intestines?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 2 years ago.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

No there is not one particular test to determine the amount of yeast (overgrowth) in the colon. Most will prescribe these and if an improvement is being made, the Diflucan is continued and the IBS and other symptoms should improve as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expected more detailed information and to hear from an M.D. with expertise in this area.
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.
Welcome,
My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

before I answer let me ask you this... was this diagnosis made by colonoscopy and biopsy? if not, how was it made?

what kind of doctor are you seeing that gave you this diagnosis?

what medical diagnosed do you have?

standing by
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, the diagnosis was made based on symptoms. The doctor is a board certified M.D. who is a hormone specialist and functional medicine doctor. While the symptoms, especially the sudden anxiety which I have not had before, certainly match a yeast overgrowth in the intestines perhaps due to a drop in seratonin, there has been no "test" that confirms the presence of a yeast overgrowth. The diagnosis is a yeast overgrowth in the gut.
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.
then this MD is practicing way out in lala land. there is no support for this syndrome or the treatment he is prescribing for you in mainstream, evidence based medicine. however, i suspect, that since you are with him in the first place that you may have chosen him because of a desire for an alternative approach.

just so you know I'm not speaking without knowledge... please see THIS LINK HERE, and THIS LINK HERE.

If your doctor is not an endocrinologist then he is not, by MD standards, a 'hormone specialist'...

'functional medicine' is code speak for 'alternative medicine with an MD'.

i am an MD with board certification in Emergency Medicine. I also have six years in primary care medicine as well. I think you are being scammed by this doctor, and, if not 'scammed' I think he might as well be practicing voodoo.

I am sorry to tell you this and you are welcome to disagree, but diflucan, for REAL yeast infections (vaginal candidiasis, some skin fungus diseases, and with patients with oral thrush and severely depressed immune systems) are generally given a one time dose of diflucan, or a one dose and a following dose a week later.

I strongly suggest you seek a second opinion from a good internal medicine physician.

Best
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician