Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness

I have been having this discomfort in my abdomen for 2 weeks

Customer Question

I have been having this discomfort in my abdomen for 2 weeks now, its not going away, its not pain just a weird discomfort feeling. Also recently I have seen blood in my stool. Today I have some slight pain in my lower back, I'm really scared! I don't have medical insurance and I don't know what to do? Its such a weird feeling, not a pain just a discomfort. Also I just recently started having sex with a new girl, she has gone to the doctor twice now and they prescribed her antibiotics for bladder infections, my fear is she had something different and now i have it? Can these symptoms be associated with an std? What should i do, I changed my diet started eating more fiber, started eating more fruits and veggies cut out soda, started taking probiotics the feeling is not going away. I also tried taking activated charcoal. I don't know what to do?!!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 1 year ago.
Hello JACustomer, \

I would like to try and help you but I need allot more information. Please describe this discomfort...does it get better or worse after you eat? Does it get better or worse depending on WHAT you eat (fatty foods, dairy, etc)? How much blood are you seeing in your stool? Is it every time you have a bowel movement? Are you very constipated when this happens? Where is the pain in your lower back, left or right sided? Did you work or lift anything heavy prior to this pain today? Does it feel like a muscle ache or pain?

Do you have any problems with urination yourself? Any burning or penile discharge? What made you take activated charcoal and how long have you been taking it?

Thanks for clarifying,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pain in my back started this morning but i did work out really hard yesterday, I ran 3 miles did push ups and hit the speed bag, it feels like a burning pain all over my lower back. When i wake up in the morning the discomfort seems to be gone, the second i stand up and start walking around it comes back, and yes it gets worse when i eat. I have been eating healthy nothing to bad at all. I have been constipated for like 2 yrs now it seems, i always have bowel movements daily but they are hard and sometimes hard to pass and sometimes it hurts. I don't have any problems urinating no burning or anything but my pee does seem cloudy. I took the charcoal cause someone said i might just be super bloated and it could help me.
Hello JACustomer,

Thanks for that additional detail...I have a few more questions for you though. Does it matter what foods you eat or does it hurt with ALL foods? Does it hurt immediately after you eat or does the pain come after a half hour or hour?

Thanks for clarifying,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a discomfort all the time, its doesn't hurt just feels like pressure or bloatedness and its not just when i eat its all the time, the blood in my stool is almost every time i have a bowel movement, its bright red blood and sometimes its actually dripping out of my anus but that has only happened a couple times, usually i just notice a little bit on the the stool
Hello JACustomer,

Sorry about all of these questions...a few more. The more detail I have, the better my later guess will be. Where on your abdomen is this pain? Left side, right side, upper or lower? Does it hurt if you press on it? On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most pain you've ever felt and 1 being no pain, how much discomfort fort are you in?

Thanks for clarifying,
Sincerely,
Susan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its like mid to lower abdomen and yes if i press on my stomach i can feel some pain! the discomfort is more annoying then it hurting, i would say like a 2-3 pain scale
I am sorry you are feeling so unwell; please understand that online no one can state what anything is with any certainty, all I can do is offer my best guess based on what you've written.

There may be several things happening here at once. Constipation like what you describe can tear the anus and cause bleeding (anal fissures). That is potentially one source of the blood. Straining at stool may also cause hemmorids, which can burst and cause blood as well. Activated charcoal is a cause of constipation...it is mainly used in poisoning cases and there is not good evidence that is effective in bloating or reducing gas. It may be causing some of the discomfort that you feel as it can cause constipation. I would stop it were I you.

I think maybe you pulled a muscle in your back; that started yesterday after a work out but I cant totally dismiss the possibility that its related to the other symptoms and you did not feel pain there until now because what you have is worse. But I do not believe so.

Your stomach discomfort is a more difficult one. Low level pain like that can be from many causes; its severe and agonizing pain though that is most commonly from life threatening ones, so as uncomfortable as you may be, I do not so far think you are in acute danger...at least from what you've written. I am wondering if it might be some sort of ulcer, as they can be more uncomfortable after you eat, depending upon where that ulcer lies.

Though I think you are not in acute danger I DO think you need to see a doctor because discomfort like you have for two weeks is not something that should be ignored. Neither is the anal bleeding that you have. I can not say online where it stems from and only an in person exam can do that. You may have an anal fissure that needs some repair.

As to the STD issue...not specifically, no, but your cloudy urine does make me think you should be checked for a UTI (urinary tract infection). Its possible during sex she passed the bacteria to you and so you acquired it that way. A prostatitis (infection of the prostate) also potentially could cause some abdominal discomfort. For that you would need a doctors exam and antibiotics to treat it with.

Hallmarks of STDS are generally a vaginal or penile discharge, or a rash. Although some can be asymptomatic, meaning that the person does not even know they have it.

I read that you don't have medical insurance. There are many free clinics and low cost clinics. Here are some web pages to help find them; I do think a doctors visit is a good idea given what you've written. And if the pain were to become agony, an Emergency Room visit is a good choice. http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinics.taf and http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/Search_HCC.aspx and http://www.pparx.org/en/prescription_assistance_programs/free_clinic_finder

Here is a link to common STDs and their symptoms: http://www.fwhc.org/health/std.htm

I hope I was able to help, and that you feel better soon.

Sincerely,
Susan

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two starts on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" button. Let me know the issue you have and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today.