Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Why would my brother (65 yrs) get fluid build up in the lungs,

Why would my brother (65 yrs) get fluid build up in the lungs, it gets removed, and then builds up again?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hello

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Has the fluid been tested for infection, inflammation and cancer?

Customer:

Yes, and as far as I have been told "everything is normal"

mysticdoc :

Does he have any other medical condition?

Customer:

Yes. He has cirrhosis of the liver

mysticdoc :

ok that explains it.

mysticdoc :

how severe is the cirrhosis?

Customer:

expalins what?

mysticdoc :

does he have normal kidneys?

Customer:

yes.

mysticdoc :

cirrhosis usually suggests low blood protein.

mysticdoc :

If there is low blood protein, the fluid tends to leak from the blood vessels in the pleural space.

mysticdoc :

this is due to the increased osmoticpressure

Customer:

his liver enzymes are not currently above the normal range - the alk phos is above the normal reference range but he does have fluid in the abdomen as well as the lungs.

mysticdoc :

do you know his albumin level?

mysticdoc :

i am assuming low--causing this problem

Customer:

what would one do to counteract the low blood protein besides diet. Why would his total protein on his blood work be normal if that is the reason? His results are actually all within the normal ranges

mysticdoc :

the albumin level is more important than total protein.

mysticdoc :

If the fluid is accumulating recurrently, then the best option is to ffuse the pleural space.

mysticdoc :

Pleural adhesion procedure.

Customer:

He also has a racking cough that is persistent and has been attributed to sinus drainage. This cough is VERY deep and non-productive.

mysticdoc :

Chemical agents like doxycycline, talc can be used to obliterate space, to prevent recurrent pleural effusion.

mysticdoc :

The cough is likely from pleural effusion

mysticdoc :

you can discuss this option with a lung specialist ( pulmonologist).

Customer:

Pleural Adhesion procedure is unfamiliar to me. Could you explain? just taking doxycycline?

Customer:

The pulmonologist has been the one draining the fluid and has not suggested this procedure.

mysticdoc :

The procedure is known as Pleurodesis.

mysticdoc :

In this procedure, a solution of doxycycline or talc is injected into the space between the pleura ( lung covering).

mysticdoc :

The space is then obliterated by the body's immune response.

mysticdoc :

When there is no space, no fluid will accumulate.

mysticdoc :

This is done under anesthesia --hence no pain felt.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Customer:

Thanks. I will suggest that . This is just too much too often with no end in sight. You have been very helpful

mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

Best of luck,

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD