Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hey dr chip. Having anxiety. My calf is bothering me again,

Hey dr chip. Having anxiety. My calf is bothering me again, but I'm having these weird painless spasms. Is that worrisome they keep happening out of nowhere
Spasms where?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Behing my knee and my left calf.
Just light twitches or more like a cramp?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Like a tight spasm. But it doesnt hurt do yeah like a cramp
That hasn't happened before or is this the first time it's painless?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure. I can't say I've never had a painless cramp before. So honestly I dont know
OK--painless or not, this isn't a sign of a DVT and, again, you really don't have any risk factors for a sudden development of a DVT. It could be a bit of magnesium deficiency and you could try some magnesium supplements.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay. I keep trying to reassure myself. But I needed to talk to my favorite doc! It does have that lingering pain thr we've talked about. Still a pinched nerve u think?
Yes--still from the nerve, favorite patient.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
More like your most annoying :) ha ha! And my stomach pain is like 95% gone! Is that normal with gallstones? I
Yes--a gall stone can get impacted at the neck of the gall bladder and cause pain when it tries to squeeze out the bile, and if the stone dislodges, the inflammation and pain resolves. Even so, a gall bladder with stone is still a ticking time bomb, since if a stone gets out and blocks the common bile duct, you can get pancreatitis, so that's why I suggest that a patient, even with asymptomatic stones, have their gall bladder removed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So will I be okay till I see the surgeon? I get worried about something bad happening and needing emergency surgery. I heard your gallbladder can like explode!
No--it can, but so far I've never had a patient where that actually happened. If you're not having much pain, no fever, and no nausea and vomiting, then, for now, you're OK.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The doctor wouldn't have sent me home if it was bad right? And he called the surgeon for his opinion and he said I could go home too. I'm just worried inn gonna get sick and have to have emergency surgery
No--I think you're fine for now and it may not cause a problem for quite some time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey! So I'm having slight pain in my ribs. I'm being all paranoid! Mostly on the right side, and my ribs hurt when I ouch them. Should I be worried
The ribs themselves and not the abdomen below?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No not my stomach. Just my ribs mainly on the right side.
Not your gall bladder--just the ribs--no exploding gall bladder worries here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok now my stomach hurts a little bit
Your anxiety is taking over here--not your gall bladder.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Youbthink so? It'd pain is getting worse in my ribs
If it's sore on the outside--just to a little pressure--it isn't your gall bladder.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It hurts inside my ribs. Like a burning pain.
The same exact type of pain that got you to the hospital?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No!! That pain was everywhere in my stomach and was pretty bad. This is much less than that. But still hurts and is getting worse. I don't know if I'm making it worse by thinking about it.
I think you probably are. Unless it's really severe and your nauseated, just relax and lt it pass.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey dr chip! My leg is STILL bothering me :( its still feeling tight and having muscle spasms!!
But no swelling?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Check out this photo from Snapbucket:

What do u think?
Don't see any abnormal swelling.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm just freaking out
Sorry--had to step out--you still there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yea I'm still here!
OK--not a DVT so why the freaking out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cause it's like non stop tight feelings in my calf. Espically behind my knee.
Have you tried to walk it off?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just saw my GP and he just felt my leg. And checked my pulse on my foot said it was muscular. Is that enough?
Yes--enough to say it isn't a DVT. Did he give you anything for it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ibuprofen. It's just weird. It keeps getting super tight! Espically behind my knee
Only that one muscle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Still a problem right now? Have you tried any BenGay or Aspercreme?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I haven't tried yet.
Still freaked out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A little
So we're over the DVT scare?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey mr doctor. My legs still bothering me so I need peace of mind. Would a walk in clinic be able to do a d dimer test?
Yes, they could and they could decide whether you need a Doppler venous study too. At this point, since you still seem to be so worried despite what I told you, perhaps you should go.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeah I'm here. This anxiety is just to much. Do you think I don't have a clot? Am I being retarded?
No, not retarded, just obsessive/compulsive about DVT's and that's not your fault. At least if they check you out and all's fine, maybe it'll help next time this happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So just left the clinic they couldn't do any labs. :( but th doctor was really thorough, he did a bunch of things to my legs felt them ect. Said it was likely muscular and to keep an eye on it. Is tha enough to rule out a clot?
Yes it is--if it had been a clot he would have known it and sent you for an emergency Doppler venous study.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im having pain now down my left calf. When I walk. Is this worrisome
Same leg?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, we know it's not a clot
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
U sure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So why is this hurting like this??
Either your back or it's possible you have a deficiency of potassium or magnesium--try getting those supplements tomorrow at the drug store and trying it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay I'll try it :( It's just weird, cause my calf keeps going like tight and numb
Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So i got the supplements. took one of each, The sensation went away for a bit today. Then came back after I woke up from a nap. Still that weird tight feeling!
Keep talking the supplements daily for a while--sounds like we've found the problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still having the tightness! It's not as bad and goes away for periods at a time... But are u sure it's not a clot?
Absolutely and a clot doesn't give off an on symptoms.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it would be pretty obvious by now if I had a clot?? I mean swollen and such?

Can I go for a walk?? Would that help?
Yes it would be obvious and that's a good idea--take a long walk.