Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hey dr chip. Having anxiety. My calf is bothering me again,

Customer Question

Hey dr chip. Having anxiety. My calf is bothering me again, but I'm having these weird painless spasms. Is that worrisome they keep happening out of nowhere
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Spasms where?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Behing my knee and my left calf.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just light twitches or more like a cramp?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like a tight spasm. But it doesnt hurt do yeah like a cramp
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That hasn't happened before or is this the first time it's painless?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure. I can't say I've never had a painless cramp before. So honestly I dont know
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--painless or not, this isn't a sign of a DVT and, again, you really don't have any risk factors for a sudden development of a DVT. It could be a bit of magnesium deficiency and you could try some magnesium supplements.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I keep trying to reassure myself. But I needed to talk to my favorite doc! It does have that lingering pain thr we've talked about. Still a pinched nerve u think?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--still from the nerve, favorite patient.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More like your most annoying :) ha ha! And my stomach pain is like 95% gone! Is that normal with gallstones? I
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--a gall stone can get impacted at the neck of the gall bladder and cause pain when it tries to squeeze out the bile, and if the stone dislodges, the inflammation and pain resolves. Even so, a gall bladder with stone is still a ticking time bomb, since if a stone gets out and blocks the common bile duct, you can get pancreatitis, so that's why I suggest that a patient, even with asymptomatic stones, have their gall bladder removed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So will I be okay till I see the surgeon? I get worried about something bad happening and needing emergency surgery. I heard your gallbladder can like explode!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--it can, but so far I've never had a patient where that actually happened. If you're not having much pain, no fever, and no nausea and vomiting, then, for now, you're OK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The doctor wouldn't have sent me home if it was bad right? And he called the surgeon for his opinion and he said I could go home too. I'm just worried inn gonna get sick and have to have emergency surgery
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--I think you're fine for now and it may not cause a problem for quite some time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey! So I'm having slight pain in my ribs. I'm being all paranoid! Mostly on the right side, and my ribs hurt when I ouch them. Should I be worried
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The ribs themselves and not the abdomen below?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not my stomach. Just my ribs mainly on the right side.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not your gall bladder--just the ribs--no exploding gall bladder worries here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok now my stomach hurts a little bit
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Your anxiety is taking over here--not your gall bladder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Youbthink so? It'd pain is getting worse in my ribs
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If it's sore on the outside--just to a little pressure--it isn't your gall bladder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It hurts inside my ribs. Like a burning pain.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The same exact type of pain that got you to the hospital?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No!! That pain was everywhere in my stomach and was pretty bad. This is much less than that. But still hurts and is getting worse. I don't know if I'm making it worse by thinking about it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I think you probably are. Unless it's really severe and your nauseated, just relax and lt it pass.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey dr chip! My leg is STILL bothering me :( its still feeling tight and having muscle spasms!!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
But no swelling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check out this photo from Snapbucket: http://pbckt.com/pR.RbfEr7

What do u think?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Don't see any abnormal swelling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just freaking out
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--had to step out--you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I'm still here!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--not a DVT so why the freaking out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cause it's like non stop tight feelings in my calf. Espically behind my knee.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried to walk it off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just saw my GP and he just felt my leg. And checked my pulse on my foot said it was muscular. Is that enough?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--enough to say it isn't a DVT. Did he give you anything for it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ibuprofen. It's just weird. It keeps getting super tight! Espically behind my knee
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Only that one muscle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Still a problem right now? Have you tried any BenGay or Aspercreme?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I haven't tried yet.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Still freaked out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A little
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So we're over the DVT scare?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey mr doctor. My legs still bothering me so I need peace of mind. Would a walk in clinic be able to do a d dimer test?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they could and they could decide whether you need a Doppler venous study too. At this point, since you still seem to be so worried despite what I told you, perhaps you should go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I'm here. This anxiety is just to much. Do you think I don't have a clot? Am I being retarded?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, not retarded, just obsessive/compulsive about DVT's and that's not your fault. At least if they check you out and all's fine, maybe it'll help next time this happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So just left the clinic they couldn't do any labs. :( but th doctor was really thorough, he did a bunch of things to my legs felt them ect. Said it was likely muscular and to keep an eye on it. Is tha enough to rule out a clot?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is--if it had been a clot he would have known it and sent you for an emergency Doppler venous study.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im having pain now down my left calf. When I walk. Is this worrisome
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Same leg?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, we know it's not a clot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U sure?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So why is this hurting like this??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Either your back or it's possible you have a deficiency of potassium or magnesium--try getting those supplements tomorrow at the drug store and trying it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I'll try it :( It's just weird, cause my calf keeps going like tight and numb
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So i got the supplements. took one of each, The sensation went away for a bit today. Then came back after I woke up from a nap. Still that weird tight feeling!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Keep talking the supplements daily for a while--sounds like we've found the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still having the tightness! It's not as bad and goes away for periods at a time... But are u sure it's not a clot?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely and a clot doesn't give off an on symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it would be pretty obvious by now if I had a clot?? I mean swollen and such?

Can I go for a walk?? Would that help?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes it would be obvious and that's a good idea--take a long walk.