Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I noticed last Friday a small, redish, bump appeared on my

I noticed last Friday a small, redish, bump appeared on my right hand. I don't recall being bit by anything but I did do some light yard work that morning. By Saturday morning it had flattened out and turned brownish and looks almost like it's the outline of a plus sign "+", slightly red in the center. It doesn't hurt and when I run my finger across it, it feels like it has a slight texture to it.

Do you have known allergies?
Do you think that the bump is improving by hydrocortisone?
Any itching?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr. Arun,

I have hayfever type allergies, cut grass, dog hair, etc. will cause my eyes to itch and nose to run, I currently take prescription Veramyst to control that but that's it.

It seems like it may have faded some. I applied the hydrocortisone cream the first evening and by morning it had flattened out and turned brown. I had started applying Lotrimin but then switched back yesterday to the hydrocortisone.

No itching, the first day it hurt some when I pushed on it but it doesn't hurt anymore.

Here's a photo I just took, if that helps.

Hello and welcome, Chris.

Thanks for the photo. This helps a lot.

It is likely to be an insect bit, perhaps when you were doing yard work. The bite of a tiny insect is occasionally not felt and is only seen. Hydrocortisone is the right treatment and I feel that it should resolve in next 3-5 days (so need of prescription strength steroids).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thank you Dr. It just concerned me because of the shape, I can't remember a bite that looked like that before.

You are very welcome, Chris.

The shape is not concerning (though it is interesting) and does not point to anything worrying diagnosis. The insect bites cause inflammation of the partial layers of the skin at different levels in an area and while healing sometimes specific patterns on the skin are formed (which is not uncommon). With no significant signs of inflammation and allergy, there is nothing worrisome.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun