Karel1
Karel1, Certified Respiratory Therapist
Experience:  Have suffered with Narcolepsy a sleeping disorder over 30 years,specializes in asthma ,COPD
24118

no longer have health insurance and cant afford lipitor 20mg.

no longer have health insurance and can't afford lipitor 20mg. having joint pain in elbow and hands. is there a problem with not taking anymore and is there an alternative without a doctor's prescription. laid off work over month ago. is a blood check necessary to continue medication?

No need to stop it. Go to the website

https://www.lipitor.com/patients/lipitorforyou.aspx and sign up for the Lipitor for you. For people with no insurance you would only pay $4.00 . They also have a generic version but if you can get the brand I would stick with the brand. You can also call them at 1-866-706-2400 as they have other programs that you may be eligible for.

Also call the company that laid you off speak to the health benefit department. You cannot just be cut from medical benefits, they would have to give you cobra for at least l8 months. I am not familiar with the pricings but ask your company.

Karel1, Certified Respiratory Therapist
Experience: Have suffered with Narcolepsy a sleeping disorder over 30 years,specializes in asthma ,COPD
I would like to help. Please allow me to address the questions you asked.

Yes, there is a problem with stopping Lipitor. It puts you at risk of high cholesterol and cardiovascular events, such as heart attack and stroke. It is an important medicine to continue.

Yes, there is an alternative available without a new prescription. Lipitor went generic some months ago, the generic is called atorvastatin. Your pharmacist can switch you without needing to consult your prescriber. The cost of atorvastatin had dropped recently. It is now less than $20 a month, depending on your location. From there it depends on how much your pharmacy increases the price.

No, blood work is no longer necessary to continue using statin medications. Recently, it was determined that liver checks were not needed for people after they have been on a statin. However, it would be good to get your cholesterol checked every 6 months to a year just to make sure it is still working.

Another option is to have your pharmacist act on your behalf and talk to the prescriber. They can explain your situation and recommend a cheaper alternative. These include simvastatin 40 mg and pravastatin 80 mg.

Depending on what you mean by "natural remedy" there are other options for lowering cholesterol. Of course, diet is the most important. Also, niacin is available without a prescription and helps to lower cholesterol.

I also have a question for you. You mentioned joint pain in your elbows and hands. Is that new? Do you think that is related to your Lipitor?