Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

6 months after being diagnosed (and nearLy dying with) bronchiolitis,

6 months after being diagnosed (and nearLy dying with) bronchiolitis, what is my husbands prognosis???(he is 45 years old).

Could you please tell about your husband's lung function tests (pulmonary function tests)?
Is he a smoker?
Has he breathlessness on walking very small distance?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he was a smoker for 6 months following a 8 year abscence of smoking! i am not sure of lung function testsd but i know he had a 49% lung capacity which falled in "the severe Category ", once followed up 6 weeks later!! and yes he is breathless walking small distances and has to stop often!

Just to confirm; was his diagnosis Bronchiolitis (it is an infection) or Bronchiectasis (it is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease / COPD)?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he was diagnosed with "bronchiolitis" following a lung biopsy and now is waiting for expected outcome of this??definately NOT bronchiectsis!

Bronchiolitis is a viral infection and has a good prognosis. The disease is not progressive and thus his lung functions are not likely to deteriorate further, if he does not smoke again. Chest physical therapy, breathing exercises, inhalers, prevention of the infections and dietary supplementation are the treatment. If you feel that he is not improving or deteriorating, following investigations are advised;

1) High resolution CT scan
2) Pulmonary function tests; these are sensitive parameters which not only tell about the disease progression but also are specific indicator of the advancing disease and thus the prognosis.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.