Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

Have had blurred vision, and migraine headaches for over a

Have had blurred vision, and migraine headaches for over a month. Doctor sent for a CT scan came saying i had a 3mm fatty mass on a ventricle in my brain and then sent me for MRI and awaiting results
Can you tell its just a fatty mass without a biopsy?

Following are the possibilites of diagnosis;

1) dermoid cyst
2) epidermoid cyst
3) arachnoid cyst
4) craniopharyngioma
5) teratoma
6) lipoma

All of these are non cancerous (benign), hence, not worrying.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK thank you and understand that but can you tell exactly what it is without a biopsy. I've been told to ask to be referred to a neurologist should i? Also will the headaches blurred vision and dizziness stop?
You are very welcome.

An MRI is usually able to further zero down it. But biopsy is not indicated in the brain. Once it is determined by the MRI that it is benign; it is followed up by a MRI again after 6 months to detect any change. Usually none of these change.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about the effects IM having, the are so bad IM not supposed to drive right now and unable to work
For the mass effect; you may need to take the medicine for 1-2 years after which gradually they are tolerated. Sometimes this is true migraine and these incidental CT finding may not be responsible for your symptoms.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The imaging by the CT scan and by MRI scan is able to identify the density and quality of the tissue allowing to identify the type of tissue(whether nerve tissue/connective tissue,blood vessel or other) seen in the mass.Use of contrast further helps in this differentiation.Since taking a biopsy deep within the cerebral cortex or brain matter is fraught with risk of damage to important structures and bleeding ,it is considered prudent to assess it by using a CT contrast scan ,or better still a a MRI scan which is more sensitive and gives better information.Since we get 3- D imaging in both a CT and MRI scan,reviewing the lesion at 3 monthly/6monthly intervals will help assess any changes in the lesion.If it is malignant,there will be other pressure changes and effect of mass pressing onto other tissues.A neurologist will help treat the problem more accurately and will be able to address the problems you are facing more effectively.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice