Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hello, My mother of age 55 is suffering on difficulty in

My mother of age 55 is suffering on difficulty in swallowing even water/liquid.
We did endoscopy test - no problem reported. we did throid test in blood - no problem seen. now the doctor is telling there could be nervous sprains in throat which is not allowing food to swallow.....i do not know what to mother is loosing her weight...became dull...lost her scope...on treatment....can you please advise... please make you answer [email protected] as well...

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Was a barium esophagogram done?
Any significant past medical history like autoimmune disorder?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Barium test had not done. because she fears that she cannot swallow water..hence difficult to swallow this substance.

No past medical disorder on autoimmune...may i know the symptoms for this...

Is endoscopy can not predict , what barium test can do..?

please advise....
Hello Srinivasan,

The endoscopy see the anatomical details, while the barium esophagogram show the movements of the food pipe which can't be seen by the endoscopy. The causes of swallowing difficulty can be;

1) Mucosal injury (internal lining of pharynx and esophagus) may be caused by potassium chloride tablets, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), or antibiotics (doxycycline, tetracycline, clindamycin, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole).

2) Pharyngeal diverticulum

3) Peptic strictures due to reflux

4) Benign esophageal tumors

5) Achalasia

6) Esophageal Stricture or constriction

7) Globus; a psychological phenomenon of something causing difficulty in swallowing (there is a condition called as Globus sensation, which may be responsible for the symptom of problem in swallowing). Please read this resource;

Globus is quite a common phenomenon and many times can be associated with anxiety.

Following investigations are necessary for the work up;

1) Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing and upper gastrointestinal endoscopy. This has been done for her.

2) Esophageal manometry (pressure study of the food pipe).

3) CT scan

4) Barium swallow

This will give you the exact cause of your symptoms.

Autoimmune disorder present with wide symptoms like joint pain, muscle pain, fatigue, etc. Please read this article about the esophageal motility disorder. This is technical but is likely to give you an overview of the problem;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, i will look into these test and come back..
Okay Srinivasan. Take your time.