Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I am 39 years old and my period is late by 32 days now. My

I am 39 years old and my period is late by 32 days now. My nipples are sore too.my periodic June last month came on time (23days) but lasted for 9 days with a a dark brown secretion of blood in the last 4 days. What does this mean?
I did not had sex in July yet there is still no sign of a period except tender nipples
Please help

Lisa
Hello

What is your LMP?
When was your period supposed to come?
Any associated mood swings?
Weight gain?
Emotional problems?Stress?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not know what you mean by "LMP"
My period was due on the 23rd july and I am not stressed more than usual.
Maybe just a little weight gain due to eating a bit more than usual, no mood swings, I have been a little but worried that I might miss the boat of getting pregnant but this has not been a sudden worry.

I also feel a dull ache in the left hand side of my lower abdomen but that was 5 days ago
Last Menstrual Period?(Date)

As such there can be a variety of causes of missed period like hormonal imbalance, weight gain, weight loss,PCOD,thyroid dysfunction, pregnancy to name a few .
If you are sexually active and have missed your period pregnancy should be ruled out .Ideal time to test for pregnancy by a home pregnancy test is 1 week after missed period and morning urine sample should be used .
Other possible causes include hormonal imbalance .

Well you should consult your obs/gyn doctor and your doctor may advise some form of progesterone to induce period and further investigations like ultrasound ,blood work like Thyroid function test, LH ,FSH etc may be advised for further diagnosis and management .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
actually I mis calculated. My LMP was on the 23 of June
Well as your period are 8 days late so your missed period can be associated with weight gain.
As you have no history of unprotected sex in july so chances of pregnancy are less however it is advised to undergo home pregnancy test to rule out it.
Otherwise consult your doctor and undergo further investigations like ultrasound ,blood work like Thyroid function test, LH ,FSH for further evaluation and management.
Hormonal imbalance can be another possibility.
I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually, I mis calculated again!
My last monthly period was on the 29th of June making me still 8 days late as I was supposed to get my period on the 23rd of July.
As for weight gain I have only put on a pound in one month!
Also why would my nipples be sore and why would I feel a dull ache on my left hand side lower abdomen?
Is it possible to be pregnant even though I had my period in June (29th) but have not had intercourse since?
Well if you had your period on 29th June and have not had intercourse since then chances of pregnancy are not there.
Other causes of missed period include hormonal imbalance, weight gain, weight loss,PCOD,thyroid dysfunction etc.
Your doctor may advise further test like LH,FSH,PRL,TFT and ultrasound of the uterus and adnexa for further diagnosis and management.

Thank you.