Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hi Dr. Arun About 3 weeks ago i was diagnosed with laryngitis

Hi Dr. Arun
About 3 weeks ago i was diagnosed with laryngitis & i also had a cold. i was given a Z-pak and robitussin cf. A few days after my cold went away as well as the laryngitis, but i still had the cough. 2 days after i finished the medication i started to feel my throat and tongue swell up again and had sum discomfort in my ears. They gave me sum amoxicillin & i felt great afterwards. now 5 days after finishing the meds i fell the swelling again in my throat & tongue. still have the cough

A persistent cough and feeling of swelling in throat and tongue can be due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) (heartburn may be absent surprisingly). This may develop due to antibiotics and medications. You may try following, which should be helpful in these symptoms;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Following Nutrition and supplements would also help;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil

Try these measures for atleast three to four days and if you are better may continue for a week.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your help Dr. i appreciate it. Would u recommend me to do any imaging like a CT or MRI? Would that be helpful? If my symptoms persist what should i do, Ive already been to the hospital twice?
You are very welcome, John.

If your symptoms are persistent or progressive, a CT scan may be recommended. But I am quite sure there is nothing significant and serious and these are likely to resolve in a week.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much, you've given me more answers than the doctors I've seen in person
You are most welcome, John.

Good luck.