Daegan12, Nurse
Experience:  I have many years experience as a nurse, and have worked in many areas. I have worked with people of all ages.

i get like this sharp little pain that comes and goes in the

Customer Question

i get like this sharp little pain that comes and goes in the center right part of my chest..not sure what it can be...i highly doubt a heart attack or anything...ive had numerous cardiovascular tests done. also have a little off balance type feeling. i do have hypertension and anxiety. bp right now of 145/70
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info

You should consult a physician right away about this to rule out a heart attack. I am suspecting one of these four conditions otherwise:

Pulmonary Embolism Symptoms

Symptoms of a pulmonary embolus include:

• the sudden onset of shortness of breath,

• rapid breathing, and

• sharp pain in the mid chest, which increases with deep breaths.

Pneumothorax Symptoms

Symptoms of pneumothorax include:

• sharp chest pain,

• rapid heart rate,

• dizziness,

• lightheadedness, or
  • Pericarditis Symptoms

The pain of pericarditis is typically described as a sharp or stabbing pain in the mid-chest, worsened by deep breaths.

• This pain may mimic the pain of a heart attack, because it may radiate to the left side of the back or shoulder.

• One distinguishing factor is that the pain is worsened by lying flat and improved by leaning forward. When lying flat, the inflamed pericardium is in direct contact with the heart and causes pain. When leaning forward, there is a space between the pericardium and the heart.

• Many people report a recent cold, fever, shortness of breath, or pain when swallowing just before developing pericarditis.

Mitral Valve Prolapse Symptoms

Mitral valve prolapse usually has no symptoms, but some people experience palpitations (sensation of rapid or strong heartbeat) and chest pain.

• Chest pain associated with mitral valve prolapse differs from that of typical angina in that it is sharp, does not radiate, and is not related to physical exertion.

• Other symptoms include fatigue, lightheadedness, and shortness of breath.

• Complications include infection of the heart valves, mitral valve regurgitation (an abnormal blood flow within the chambers of the heart), and abnormal heart rhythms, which rarely cause sudden death.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
isnt there like a arm numbness or something that also comes with a heart attack and usually a much higher blood pressure
Arm numbness isn't always present with a heart attack and blood pressure will vary by patient. Some people have no symptoms prior to having a heart attack, that is why it is important you be seen.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oh okay i understand. my brother is a paramedic, can i just have him check me out? he will be home in about an hour
I wouldn't waste any time in your state.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you think that it is that serious? its not like a throbbing pain or anything and its not like a pressure..and i dont look flush or anything, but you really think that it is serious?..i just want to make sure because i do not have insurance and it costs a lot to go to er
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Daegan12 replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I would certainly go to the ER. They can not refuse to treat you just because you do not have insurance or can not pay. I would go to the ER and play on the safe side. It is always better to be safe then sorry. They can do testing and find out the cause of your symptoms, if nothing serious they will send you home with instructions. If it is serious they can catch it, and treat it before it gets worse. I hope you feel better very soon and I wish you the best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i ended up not going to the er because i did not have a ride and didnt want to drive myself to the er...closest one being 20 minutes away and didnt feel comfortable driving...the pain has decreased substantially and im feeling a bit better. i am going to doctor tomorrow because i am having a brain mri and blood work done to rule out the more potentially dangerous things. (i got financial assistance through a program the hosp offered)
Expert:  Daegan12 replied 4 years ago.
I wish you the best with everything. If the pain gets worse call 911.