Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

In November 2011 I went to the doctor. I had tiny yellow circular

In November 2011 I went to the doctor. I had tiny yellow circular patches on the sides of the inside of my mouth. That doctor told me I had strep throat. He then prescribed me medicine. The medicine he prescribed did not work. I went back in December 2011 with worse symptoms. The roof of my mouth tiny red spots on it. The second doctor wouldn't tell me what it was or what he thought it was. Instead he just told me to go home, gargle with saltwater, take Tylenol, and get rest. Here it is July 2012, and It has gotten worse. Now when I lift up my top lip, i see yellow patches there as well and they're kinda sore.. I don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP. I don't know if it's Mononucleosis, or if it could be something I contracted from having oral sex with my ex. PLEASE HELP ME.

Hi--any chance of posting a photo on this page or at imageshack or photobucket and giving me the link?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it doesn't show up too well on camera
OK--are these either like blisters or small ulcers?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
something like small ulcers..there similar to canker sores.
Were you screened for herpes? How about for autoimmune disorders?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I haven't.
Any problems with muscle or joint pain, stomach issues, rashes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Muscle and joint pain, Yes. I had really bad leg pain. Joint pain occasionally.

OK, while these could be the canker sores of herpes type 1 (not genital herpes) you may have a disorder called Behcet's disease which is a type of autoimmune disorder. Is is treatable with predisone and immune modulating medications, and I would send you to a rheumatologist if a herpes screen was negative. Here's an informative link for you.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/behcets-disease/DS00822

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, Thank You.
My pleasure--please remember to rate my service and let me know how it goes.
Hi--you gave me a Bad Service rating--was that because you needed more information?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The link you sent me isn't what I have. The symptoms are totally different..
OK--let's continue then and you don't have to have all the symptoms of a particular disorder to have that disorder. These come an go or have they always been there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've had them since November last year.
OK--let me ask you this. All any of us can do in a format like this is to take the information you give us and tell you what the possible diagnoses are and how to go about determining which it may be. All I have here--not your fault--is your description of the mouth problem and your telling me that two doctors have not told you what they thought was going on. There are a couple of other possibilities here besides Behcet's which I can discuss with you but I'll have to finish with telling you how I would go about making the diagnosis. Will that be sufficient?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes that's fine.

OK--I still wouldn't rule out Behcet's. Another autoimmune disorder that this could be would be lupus. These could be canker sores and there may be a problem with a vitamin deficiency. Finally, although not very likely, this could be a sign of your being HIV positive. I would check an antinuclear antibody, rheumatoid factor, sed rate, C reactive protein, and an HIV screen. Finally this could be an infection like cryptococcus or blastomycosis. You'd need blood work and cultures to see which of these could be the possible cause. If this answer still doesn't satisfy you enough to give me at least a Good Service rating, please just ask me for any more information you need.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After I went back to the doctor the second time, when it was time for my papsmere in january, I had a rapid HIV/AIDS test done and it was negative.. So could I rule out HIV?
Yes that would rule out HIV but, as I said, all I can do is give you the differential possibilities and that has only ruled out one of them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If it's vitamin deficiency, would you know what vitamins i could take? Should I just take womens One A Day, or.....
Vitamin D and B12 would be likely culprits here--take a multivitamin and supplement it with those two separately.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, thank you. that's all.
Welcome, but please let me know how you do.