Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years
13500761

What can having a cervical infection mean?

Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info

What gives you the impression you may have a cervical infection? Has a doctor diagnosed you with this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I went to planned parenthood on Monday and they told me that my cervix looked infected. They put me on antibiotics and said they would do more study on the discharge that they took. Ivee been itching slightly for the past few days and they called me today with what I'm assuming to be bad news but I can't get in touch with anyone until tomorrow I'm just scared about what they might say.
A cervical infection occurs when the cervix becomes infected by bacteria or a virus. Infections of the cervix may be due to a sexually transmitted disease, or may be the result of an irritation to the area. Symptoms and treatment can vary, depending on the cause of the cervical infection. A infection of the cervix can lead to serious medical complications if not properly treated.

Planned Parenthood will be able to determine the cause of your infection based on the swab they took. These are the causes for you to consider in the mean time...

A sexually transmitted disease (STD) is a common cause of cervical infection. Uterine and vaginal infections can easily spread to the cervix. Gonorrhea and chlamydia are considered common sexually transmitted causes of infections in the cervix. Genital herpes and human papillomavirus can also leave one vulnerable to cervical infection.

Infections of the cervix are not always the result of sexually transmitted diseases. Cervical infections often occur due to irritation of the cervical skin. When skin becomes irritated, it is generally more vulnerable to infection. For this reason, vaginal yeast infections, bacterial vaginosis, and allergic reactions to latex or spermicidal creams can lead to infections of the cervix. Douching, using intrauterine devices, or even leaving tampons in place too long can contribute to infection of the cervix.

Planned Parenthood will be able to determine the cause of your infection based on the swab they took. These are the causes for you to consider in the mean time.