Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

Hi, I recently turned 51 *yay* and bought my first Centrum

Hi, I recently turned 51 *yay* and bought my first Centrum "silver" multi vitamins. I noticed it has 50mcg chromium. I'd heard unfavorable things about chromium so wanted to check. Thank you!
Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info

Have you asked your primary care physician if he/she would find this vitamin overall helpful to you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'd been taking multi vitamins for years under her guidance - I just "graduated" to the Silver version.
Okay. She would have advised against you taking it if she thought it's risks were greater than it's benefits. You should be fine.
Chromium is LIKELY SAFE for most adults when used appropriately for 6 months or less. Chromium is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when used for longer periods of time. Some people experience side effects such as skin irritation, headaches, dizziness, nausea, mood changes and impaired thinking, judgment, and coordination. High doses have been linked to more serious side effects including blood disorders, liver or kidney damage, and other problems.
If you start taking it and notice any of these side effects, discontinue use immediately and consult your doctor.