Daegan12
Daegan12, Nurse
Experience:  I have many years experience as a nurse, and have worked in many areas. I have worked with people of all ages.
67531278

Good afternoon, I am a bit perplexed regarding my urinalysis

Customer Question

Good afternoon,

I am a bit perplexed regarding my urinalysis auto w/scope. I was told I have another urinary tract infection.
I am a cancer patient with multiple myeloma and have neutropenia as well as leukopenia.

I just finished an 8 day course of Levaquin 500mg on Monday July 23, 2012 for pyelonenephritis.

Urine Urobilinogen 0.2
Urine pH 7.5
Urine Bacteria 2+
Urine Appearance Clear
Urine Color Yellow
Urine Specific Gravity 1.010

Everything else was negative.

Please advise.

Respectfully,
Eleanor
Category: Health
Expert:  Daegan12 replied 2 years ago.
Hello. The Levaquin is a great antibiotic for UTI's. It is good that you caught it and had it treated. With a compromised immune system UTI's can become septic quickly which means it can spread into the blood stream and you would then require IV antibiotics and most likely need to be hospitalized. I would have the doctor re check your urine 2 weeks after the last dose of the antibiotic. The reasoning for this is to recheck for the infection. You should wait 2 weeks because if you were to check your urine again right away it would most likely show up negative due to having the antibiotics in your system. You have to see if the bacteria continues to grow. Giving it 2 weeks, the doctor will be able to see if the infection is cleared. I wish you the best and I hope all turns out well for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good afternoon,

The results I posted were for a urinalysis done this morning showing 2+ bacteria. Does this mean that the first round of antibiotics did not work?

Respectfully,

Eleanor

Expert:  Daegan12 replied 2 years ago.
If that was just done today, then yes it sounds like you still have some sort of infection in your urine. It could be that the infection was pretty bad and it needs more antibiotics or a few more days on the antibiotics, or it might mean that the infection is resistant to the antibiotic you were on. If that is the case your doctor can order a different type of antibiotic such as bactrim or Cipro. In some cases if you are symptom free they might just wait and see if symptoms develop or if the body fights the bacteria but considering your immune system is lower then I think they should either continue the antibiotic for a little longer or start you on a different antibiotic. While on antibiotics I would be sure to eat yogurt, or take a probiotic supplement. This will prevent you from getting a bacteria in your colon called C-DIFF. Antibiotics can cause this at times and it could be a problem. I hope this has helped you and I hope you are feeling better soon.
Daegan12, Nurse
Experience: I have many years experience as a nurse, and have worked in many areas. I have worked with people of all ages.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you! This information was very helpful and detailed.

Respectfully,

Eleanor

Expert:  Daegan12 replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. I am glad I could help!