Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

Good evening, I took 500mg of Levaquin for 8 days to treat

Customer Question

Good evening,

I took 500mg of Levaquin for 8 days to treat a kidney infection. My last dose was on Monday evening. However, for the past couple of days my bowels have been loose and appear green. I am concerned I may have psedomembraneous colitis. I seem to have alternating bouts of diarrhea and constipation as well.

Are there any symptoms I should be watchful of?

I am a cancer patient with leukopenia and neutropenia.

Respectfully,
Eleanor
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 2 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for the question.

- How many times have you passed stool in the last 2 days? twice per day? Thrice?

- Do you have any abdominal cramps? Any urge to pass stool all the time?

- Have you passed blood in the stool?

- Do you have a fever?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good evening,

I have passed stool about twice per day. Today, I felt like I have diarrhea' but then became constipated.

I did have abdominal cramps earlier.

I feel like I need to pass stool, but only small watery amounts passed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not notice any blood in my stool nor fever.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for taking my question Dr.Mazumdar.

Respectfully,

Eleanor
Eleanor,

Thank you for the added information.

I do not think that you have psedomembraneous colitis - this is an acute infection which causes inflammation of the intestinal walls resulting in fever, acute abdominal cramps, severe diarhhea almost watery, and blood in the stools.

But you do have an intestinal infection. The greenish color indicates that the stool is passing too quickly through the intestines.

Given your past history of cancer and leukopenia, please consult a doctor as early as possible for a stool test. If this history had not been present, I would have advised you to take over the counter medicines for the diarrhea and wait and see for 2 days.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback.
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Twenty years experience in active private practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Mazumdar. I will be sure to contact a doctor as soon as possible. Thank you for the detailed, informative response.
You are welcome.