Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a 1:80 homogenous speckled pattern pos Ana I been ruled

Customer Question

I have a 1:80 homogenous speckled pattern pos Ana I been ruled out for every test on 1-24-2012 Thursday I repeted my Ana from a new LAb place it always been 1:40 titer homogenous thru quest my ssa Ssb IFA c3 c4 was neg titers of all antigens neg so should this concern me I spoke to a rhemologist she said the test I had in jan ruled out everything so can this be in healthy people or could I still have Lupus if test showed all neg my Cmp panel was all normal
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Greetings Molly.

No it is not concerning. Following are the reasons, that it is unlikely to be concerning;

1) Your previous extensive screening was negative.
2) The result of ANA can vary from the lab to lab.
3) A positive test for ANA does not, by itself, indicate the presence of an autoimmune disease. Many normal individuals will have a positive test. Even when detected at high titer, a positive ANA result, by itself (in the absence of symptoms or physical findings), does not indicate that a patient either has, or will develop, an autoimmune disease.
4) Some common viral infection and bacterial infection may raise the ANA.
5) A solitary rise of ANA with all other investigations being normal; would not be a pointer of abnormality or autoimmune disorder. So a positive ANA alone is not conclusive.

Please do not worry.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is speckled homogenous and 1:80 titer I did Sm DNA ssa Ssb Jorgens the whole work up if in jan it was meg could it change or am I over reacting
Hello Molly,

Titers are different dilutions tested for the antibody. So if one is positive for 1:40 (which is positive), a second (next) dilution is test which is 1:80. This is considered as slightly higher positive than 1;40 but would not change the interpretation we had discussed above. ANA titers and patterns can vary between laboratory testing sites, because of variation in methodology used. These are the commonly recognized patterns:
Homogeneous - total nuclear fluorescence due to antibody directed against nucleoprotein.
Speckled - results from antibody directed against different nuclear antigens.

These would not be worrying and you should not think much over it. The ANA results are just one factor in diagnosing, and must be considered together with the patient's clinical symptoms and other diagnostic tests.

It is privilege assisting you.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last question ringing in ears pressure in head gas nothing to w my Ana I think it's my Axiety I get nervous about my health I'm scares I have lupus Abd not know it but the test was neg
Sure, Molly. These symptoms are most likely due to anxiety as these do not have relationship with the ANA. The reasons for gas formation can be;

1) excessive air swallowing.

Anxious people swallow air when they are stressed or anxiety supervenes.

2) increased intraluminal (inside the intestine) production from mal absorbed (improperly absorbed) nutrients,

3) decreased gas absorption due to some pathological condition of intestines like diverticulitis

4) expansion of intestinal gas due to changes in atmospheric pressure

A solitary reason or combination can be responsible for the excessive gas.

Following may help you;

1) Avoid

a) Cabbage
b) Beer
c) Legumes
d) Cheese
e) Beans

2) This may help;

a) Bismuth subsalicylate
b) Activated charcoal
c) Simethicone; (Maalox, Mylanta); Simethicone causes gas bubbles to break up.
d) Beano; contains an enzyme (alpha-galactosidase), which helps to breakdown certain complex carbohydrates.

All are available without prescription.

Avoid foods that appear to aggravate symptoms. These may include milk and dairy products, certain fruits or vegetables, whole grains, artificial sweeteners etc. But this is based on the personal observation for the aggravating food.

Anxiety can be treated by the following measures by yourself;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root.

Please do not think about the ANA report at all. There is nothing concerning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Quck ? It's my bday it would be a lot
A very Happy Birthday, Molly. Many happy returns of the day. Are you throwing a party for your friends and relatives? Once you are busy in your work, I do not think anxiety would supervene. The best way to overcome anxiety is to think positive. You can always say that since you put your best efforts; outcome too is best and optimum. Valerian may also help.

My best,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Molly,

Since all your other autoimmune antibodies are negative and ANA is positive in low titer; there is nothing worrisome. An investigations alone is rarely diagnostic or conclusive for a diagnosis. It is inferred in the perspective of symptoms, signs, physical exam findings and other investigations and medical imaging. I would not give any importance to your ANA test.

Happy birthday, again. Have lot of fun.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so the auto immune bodies cant change then just the ana even if its been 6 months it went too 1;80 and spekled homogenous could the lab be wrong i used a new one call CLP

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Molly,

ANA can come positive in normal individuals too. It's not a confirmatory diagnostic tool, alone. It's not 100% sensitive and specific for the diagnosis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my antibodies wont change with that full work up in january so if they redid them test it would show the same thing is what im asking
A minor variation in ANA can occur with time and in different labs / different techniques.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So with all them test I had done I don't have to worry about any auto immune diseases attacking me or my brain or heart or etc :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or with a pos Ana and titer developing one in the future I'm 35 today I'm too young to worry about this
Yes, Molly. You should not worry about the autoimmune disorder at all. There is nothing concerning. As we discussed ANA alone would be nothing is this whole scenario especially with all other antibodies are negative. I assure you, you would be alright in future too. Enjoy your day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much I take the ringing in ears is Axiety yoga time again Ty so much I'm little easy over my health
You are most welcome.

Yes, anxiety can cause ringing in ear. Relax, please. Yoga is great way to do this.

My best,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will give u a great tip if you can please help me I'm freaking out over this Ana I'm thinking it's going to attack my brain and CNS and now that it's higher then before w homogenous speckled it is scaring me worse my head is hurting I been crying all day I tried to research it I just don't understand why this is happening and what it means and am I dying slowly w out knowing can it attack my brain is the ringing in ears have to do with this Abd the test I had done can the DNA double strand change within time and does this mean it's elevated I just don't this 1:80 titer please help me I'm stressed and going crazy
Molly,

Believe me. there is nothing in this test and high titer. This does not at all point to lupus. The investigations like ANA are interpreted in the context of;

a) symptoms
b) signs
c) physical examination findings
d) investigations
e) medical imaging like x-rays
f) occasionally a biopsy.

The guideline to diagnose lupus is following;

1. Tan EM, Cohen AS, Fries JF, Masi AT, McShane DJ, Rothfield NF, et al. The 1982 revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. Nov 1982;25(11):1271-7. [Medline].

2. Hochberg MC. Updating the American College of Rheumatology revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum. Sep 1997;40(9):1725. [Medline].

So there are many criteria (more than 10-11) to diagnose lupus which include the symptoms, signs, investigations etc. Please see the details of guideline here also;

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/332244-workup

As you can see that ANA is only one point of eleven points to diagnose the Lupus. There are other tests like dsDNA; anti-Smith (Sm) antibodies; antiphospholipid antibodies, which too are needed for the diagnosis of lupus.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a spinal tap in 2010 if I had CNS luous it would of showed so what is CNS lupus this Ana thing just don't go and attack your body over night is what your saying my nerves are bad any noise I jump eara ringing and head just feels like its pressure could this be Axiety like I mention before Im worried cause my dad died at 50 w cancer so everything w my health scares me in sorry to be a bother I'm just really scared and don't know what to do or understand any of this
Molly,

All of your symptoms are highly suggestive of anxiety. There is no scare of either Lupus or cancer. Please do not read Internet resources which are all wrong medically for the individual's perspective and increase the anxiety unnecessarily. Take my word; this ANA is insignificant in your context.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it's not attacking my body or my brain or CNS also if I did have luous my spinal tap would of shown any auto immune disease in 2010 it just don't attack you over night is what im asking
Yes, it does not attack overnight. Since your spinal tap was normal in 2010, that further substantiates that you do not have lupus.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ty now I think I can put it to rest please understand the way am I know i aggravated you About this it just worrys me and Ty for all your help
You are most welcome, Molly.

Please take my word; there is nothing concerning. Just relax.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just added u a 50.00 bonus Ty again
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New results 1:80 homogenous pattern no speckles is this normal for healthy people
Yes, this is normal for an healthy person if there are no symptoms. This investigation alone does not diagnose anything.