Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

I get an icy feeling in my stomach at no certain times. It

I get an icy feeling in my stomach at no certain times. It doesn't matter if I have eaten, drank or had nothing for hours, all of a sudden I get what I describe as an "ice box" in my upper stomach area. I have no chills, bloating, pain except this very noticeable icy feeling.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 2 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info.
Your symptoms are most likely caused by acid reflux.

Most acid reflux sufferers turn to over-the-counter antacids first. These can be found in liquid form or in tablets. Antacids are generally designed to work quickly at reducing the acid in your stomach and can be quite effective for relieving minor acid reflux episodes.

They are not, of course, a cure. They simply alleviate the symptoms for the short term. And they can also result in constipation, stomach cramps or diarrhea. If your acid reflux symptoms persist, or you find yourself continually turning to antacids, it's time to visit your doctor.

The most common acid reflux medications fall into two categories ... acid suppressants and the proton pump inhibitors. An acid suppressant helps to reduce the production of acid in the stomach. The brand names that you've probably heard before include Zantac, Pepcid, Tagamet, and Axid.

The proton pump inhibitor works to minimize the secretion of acid into the stomach by interacting with the cells of the stomach wall. Common examples, that you're likely somewhat familiar with, include Nexium, Zoton, Protium and Paret.

Apart from taking medications, there's your diet. You'll want to avoid those foods I've mentioned above which tend to weaken the esophagus sphincter. You'll want to avoid over indulging by eating smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day. Limit your alcohol. Allow yourself at least three hours before going to bed after eating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have never had acid reflux, can it all of a sudden just start? My daughter who is 30 has had it for at least 15 years that is why I ask.
Yes, it can start at any age. Acid reflux generally strikes people for the first time in their 40's.
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience: 1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years