Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years
13500761

I am 27 yrs old. In the past 2yrs I have noticed significant

I am 27 yrs old. In the past 2yrs I have noticed significant memory loss. People around me have noticed it as well. I can't remember things that happened the day before, or things that happened a week, month, or year ago. I watch a movie and completely forget what it was even about. Should I get this checked, or is it just part of aging? I had a car accident in 2003 and had a concusion. Could it be related to this? When I went to the ER they just glued my forehead back together and gave me some pain pills. No X-ray or scan.
Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info. Since your 2003 Doctor's visit, have you had any additional medical consultation regarding your head injury and or the symptoms you described?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. I have not been back to the doctor since the injury. Except for regular antibiotics for virus etc.
What you are describing is not a part of the brain's natural aging process. It may be a result of your 2003 injury, but you need further neurological testing to confirm. You should schedule this testing asap, as it is important to rule out a more serious cause, such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease . (CJD) is a rare, degenerative, invariably fatal brain disorder. CJD is characterized by rapidly progressive dementia. Initially, patients experience problems with muscular coordination; personality changes, including impaired memory, judgment, and thinking; and impaired vision. People with the disease also may experience insomnia, depression, or unusual sensations. CJD does not cause a fever or other flu-like symptoms. As the illness progresses, the patients' mental impairment becomes severe. They often develop involuntary muscle jerks called myoclonus, and they may go blind. They eventually lose the ability to move and speak and enter a coma. Pneumonia and other infections often occur in these patients and can lead to death.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Involuntary muscle spasms....does it feel like a sudden cold chill sensation that is uncontrollable? Because I Do have this but not often.
Yes, it could feel that way. Please note, CJD is a very rare disease, CJD,along with many other conditions with symptoms similar to yours, is also very serious. That is why I urge you to have the proper brain scans completed..
Are there any other questions you have?