Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have a large lump on the base of my sternum. It feels hard.

I have a large lump on the base of my sternum. It feels hard. it is 2 inches long an 1.5 inches wide. it forms a radius (lump). had it a while - year. now it is painful. it seems to look like a ganglion cyst. I did have a spinal cord tumor removed 3 years ago. it was a large tumor in the canal. not cancer. I also have a caved in chest from birth.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

Is that mobile or seems fixed?

DR HASAN :

is the overlying skin red or warmer than surrounding?

Customer:

Is that mobile or seems fixed? fixed

is the overlying skin red or warmer than surrounding?no

DR HASAN :

and you have this for last one year?

Customer:

yes

DR HASAN :

Do you have anyother lump in the body anywhere?

Customer:

no

DR HASAN :

ok thats good.

DR HASAN :

For how long exactly is that painful?

Customer:

2 days

DR HASAN :

Do you have fever?

Customer:

no

DR HASAN :

Has it enlarged in size progressively over that years time?

Customer:

yes

DR HASAN :

how rapidly?

Customer:

very slowly.

DR HASAN :

ok can i ask your name?

Customer:

jack

DR HASAN :

Jack thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

Well from your description it is quite obvious that its a bening growth.

DR HASAN :

As per description it can be a cyst but its slightly less likely because of the hard consistency.

DR HASAN :

The other possibility can be a infected lipoma.

DR HASAN :

As far cysts are concerned yes it can be ganglion cyst but it can also be sabecous cyst.

Customer:

at the base of my sternum

DR HASAN :

You mean ganglion cyst at base of sternum?

DR HASAN :

if so i didn't mean that.

DR HASAN :

I meant to say that it can be a cyst but more likely to be a sabecous cyst .

Customer:

yes. it is where the cartilidge should be soft. if i was doing cpr i would put my two fingers one this part of my sternum..

DR HASAN :

you mean lower part of sternum?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

the lowest

DR HASAN :

yes thats why i said that lipoma or infected sabecous cyst is more likely because that is the more likely site for such lesion.

DR HASAN :

Yes i understand.

Customer:

ok. next steps?

DR HASAN :

You mean the part just below the xiphoid process.

DR HASAN :

This picture shows xiphoid process.

Customer:

on the xiphoid process

DR HASAN :

If its on the xiphoid process then one other possibility of lesions like chondromas.

DR HASAN :

You need to do the following steps.

DR HASAN :

OTC Pain killers like Aleve twice daily is what i usually advise to my patients in early stages for pain control.

DR HASAN :

Application of local anti inflammatory cream helps too along with heating pad application.

DR HASAN :

For diagnosis, xrays, ultrasound and needle biopsy can be required.

DR HASAN :

Treatment is according to the cause.

DR HASAN :

Mostly these benign masses are removed and then their histopathological nature is further confirmed in lab.

Customer:

is this a serious issue or do i have time?

DR HASAN :

No these growths are almost always benign and they are not life threatening.

Customer:

thanks

DR HASAN :

You should consult your doctor for further investigations but donot stress yourself at all because you are going to be fine

DR HASAN :

and i wish you good luck for that.

DR HASAN :

Do you have any question?

Customer:

no. thank you

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome.

DR HASAN :

I hope this helps you, if you have any question, please feel free to ask, your excellent feedback will be appreciated. I wish that you get well soon, regards.

DR HASAN :

You can always come back on this page even after you have rated my answer.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery